Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fractions in Indesign

Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I select the paragraph style and make fractions on, all numbers in my text go up and down even if they are no fractions.

Can there be a way to use so only the number that are fraction are set to fraction?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Hi,

Can you also tell what composer is your paragraph style using? you can check it from paragraph panel menu here...

In addition do you have this preference enabled?

I am assuming you are on English locale.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you are on InDesign version CC 2017.0 or CC 2017.1, you can do the following...

1. Select the text (or text frame) that has the numbers you wish to convert to fractions

2. Click on the small "O" that appears when you select

3. From the menu, which now shows up enable the fraction OpenType

This would convert only the valid numbers as fractions instead of converting all numbers/digits to "up" and "down".

Otherwise if you are on earlier InDesign version, you can do the following...

1. Turn off the fraction property in your paragraph or character style first

Then

2. Either select each of the number and convert it to fraction from the character panel  ( this is a time consuming manual method )

or

2. You can make a grep style that converts only valid numbers to fractions. To do so...

a. Make a new character style with fraction property enabled name it C1

b. In your paragraph style (say P1) make a new grep style entry with the following settings

c. Once you do this, only valid numbers in text with paragraph style P1 applied will be converted to fractions

You can read ore about formatting fractions here https://indesignsecrets.com/formatting-fractions.php

You also should ensure that the font you are using is an OpenType font with numerator and denominator glyphs.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

I am on 12.1..0.56 and this is the latest but i do not see any "O"

-thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Can you also tell what composer is your paragraph style using? you can check it from paragraph panel menu here...

In addition do you have this preference enabled?

I am assuming you are on English locale.

-Aman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great solution amaarora!

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The option was off in preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm making a recipe book in indesign and really stuck on the fractions- When doing GREP to fractions all numbers are becoming small, for example if its "11/2 cups flour" the 1 before the 1/2 is becoming small too. Any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are we supposed to see these screenshots?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aman's screen shots were added on our old forum software and they are both small and blurry. I have the whole process written up here: https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-indesign-cs4cs5-got-fractions/. It's an old post, but nothing has changed since it was last updated. If you have questions, you can ask here or at the bottom of the post. I'll see it either way.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 27, 2018 Sep 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

• I'm making a recipe book in indesign and really stuck on the fractions- When doing GREP to fractions all numbers are becoming small, for example if its "11/2 cups flour" the 1 before the half is becoming small too. Any solutions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would love an naswer to this as well. It loks like a good answer above, but I can't read any of the screenshots, so thats a bummer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK - if you open screenshots in new tab, you can read them - but they are no longer aplicable if you are using the latest version of inDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Qzzzzzzzzzzzz and @Malks123:

Two options:

1. Using Aman's GREP from above, add a separator between the whole number and the fraction: a spacebar space, thin space, puncutation space, hair space, whichever width you like. Anything to separate the whole number from the fraction.
  2. For cooking,  you shouldn't end up with crazy fractions like 12/123—I would guess you would only have a single character numerator and denomenator. If that is correct, you could change the GREP to: \d/\d/ (remove the plus after each \d to indicate a single digit before and after the slash.
    fractions.gif

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 19, 2020 Nov 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just wanted to add there's also the possibilty to use a script/plugin from Dan Rodney called "Proper Fraction".
https://creativepro.com/the-best-way-to-make-fractionsever/
https://www.danrodney.com/scripts/properfraction.html

There's a free lite version available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines