• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame From Objects: A script to select multiple objects and insert in (non-existing) frame?

New Here ,
Feb 21, 2021 Feb 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Often times I need to clip a series of objects to a specific area – I do this by means of a frame.

This is my usual flow:

1. Select objects

2. Group

3. Cut

4. Draw frame (loosely)

5. Paste into

6. Adjust frame fitting

This is obviously fine but I would love to achieve the same thing with just a couple of clicks.

I could see this working as something that adds options to the contextual menu whereby the frame itself could be one of the following:

• Size of grouped objects
  • Page size
  • Fit to margins

I hope this makes sense! Does anyone know of something similar or perhaps would be willing to write something for me?

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Brian said: "Adding items to the contextual menu is going to require a plugin."

Hm. Well, no. Also doable by scripting. Dirk Becker had an example where menu item "Apply No Break" was added to the context menu that is offered when you select text.

The best source I could find for this today, now that the InDesign Scripting forum was merged with the "normal" InDesign forum, is this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/edit-right-click-menu-in-indesign/m-p/10527790#M147117

In the same thread

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Feb 22, 2021 Feb 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adding items to the contextual menu is going to require a plugin. A script could probably accomplish what you're after just as easily, but it's not exactly trivial. Feel free to DM if you'd like to discuss further. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Brian said: "Adding items to the contextual menu is going to require a plugin."

Hm. Well, no. Also doable by scripting. Dirk Becker had an example where menu item "Apply No Break" was added to the context menu that is offered when you select text.

The best source I could find for this today, now that the InDesign Scripting forum was merged with the "normal" InDesign forum, is this:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/edit-right-click-menu-in-indesign/m-p/10527790#M147117

In the same thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/edit-right-click-menu-in-indesign/m-p/10527785#M147112

Note: The link to Dirk's original code is not working anymore. Sorry. But the main message is:

"$ID/RtMouseText" is the name of the context menu for selected text.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sure, I was misthinking what they meant about context menu. The way they described it sounded like they wanted new items for drawing rectangles in the palette. Thanks for sharing those links.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines