• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frames capturing placed text

Participant ,
Dec 02, 2019 Dec 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a situation I've never run into before and it's puzzling me.
My doc has, on the master pages, filled frames (unassigned objects) that are placed on the outside margin of each page, running from top to bottom, with a .125" bleed on the top, bottom, and outside trims. These elements are not released to the pages (e.g., the override master page items is not selected). When I go to place scanned, bitmapped text on the verso page, placing my cursor in the top left corner for correct positioning (not on the edge of the frame but inside, about .125", inside the trim lines), the text fills the frame and releases it from the master page--in effect, overriding the master page and using the frame as a "fill" box.
Why is this? And how do I get it to stop?
Screen capture attached. The text you see in the tan box is the placed text; the tan box is on the master page, or was until the text image was placed--you can see that it is now selected, signifying that it has been released to the page. The text should have ended up to the right of the tan box--it was scanned with that margin as part of the scan.
Screenshot_1.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

on your master pages select the frames > right click > untick "Allow Master Item Overrides"

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 03, 2019 Dec 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Could you please let us know the Adobe app you are using to do this task?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry--overlooked the obvious. InDesign CC2002, v.15.0 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing that, moving your query to the correct community 'InDesign' experts here will be able to assist you better. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 05, 2019 Dec 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for that. I thought I had selected the appropriate community, but with so many screens to go through it's difficult to know. I will await a response from that community so I know where it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

well, this is kind of useless. I posted my InDesign query on the InDesign page, have found out that it's the wrong page for an InDesign question so it was moved, don't know where it was moved to, and haven't had any other replies. Thanks for the help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I know what is happening. There is an InDesign preference (checked by default) that converts an empty graphic frame or an unassigned frame to a text frame if it is clicked on with the text tool. 
I disable this first thing with each new version, because, for me, it causes more problems than it solves.

Screenshot 2019-12-10 10.01.52.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very useful to be aware of but not sure it applies to this situation, since I am not using the type tool in placing the text. The text in my case is actually a graphic (scanned page of text) I'm placing, so why would a content-unassigned frame that exists on the master page capture a placement happening on a page that uses that master (when there is no override of master page items)? The only way I got it to stop, finally, was to lock the frame on the master page. So I did come up with a solution, and maybe should just leave it at that, but I don't understand why it should be happening in the first place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't understand why it should be happening in the first place."

I don't either, but a little testing shows that the same happens to me. It turns out that unreleased Master Page image or unassigned frames do not convert to text boxes, but unreleased unassigned frames will be converted to image frames by the image-place gun. I don't see a way in preferences to prevent this, so maybe a feature request is in order, for a check box similar to the text-frame-conversion one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

on your master pages select the frames > right click > untick "Allow Master Item Overrides"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I will mark Vladan's answer as correct, even though it is a global correction which is inappropriate to this deficit in the program. There are instances where a page-specific override of the master page is warranted, so unchecking "allow master page item overrides" really doesn't serve well. 

This is a deficit in the program, and I will attempt a feature request as SJ has suggested.

Thanks all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines