• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gaps in PDF

Community Beginner ,
Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've completed an InDesign document for a childrens book. Some of the text has a stroke effect around it. Whether I create the PDF from InDesign or Photoshop there are strange gaps in the stroke.  

When the file is published online its fine, its only when saved as a PDF that this happens, and if I save the file again the gaps appear in different places each time. 

I can't have these weird gaps on the printed book. Any ideas why this is happening and how I fix it?

Thanks

Ian Robinson

TOPICS
Bug , Import and export , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Mar 14, 2021 Mar 14, 2021

I'm beginning to think it might be something on my device, and besides I've found an alternative by drawing the effect in photoshop. 

Incidentally,  you can apply stroke in InDesign, I applied text and stroke in InDesign first.

Thanks for your attempting to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please explain how you applied the "stroke effect". 

You can apply a stroke to text, but InDesign does not have a stroke effect. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgive my poor use of the terminology, I'm relatively new to Photoshop and InDesign. It effects the stroke applied to the text, and only when saved as a PDF. Curiously even after the stroke is first applied to a photoshop file (.EPS, .JPEG etc) and then placed into an InDesign Document.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a little confusing but in Photoshop strokes are applied to text as an effect, but not in InDesign.

Anyway, I'm not able to reproduce the problem.

If you can post your InDesign file I'll see if I can troubleshoot it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm beginning to think it might be something on my device, and besides I've found an alternative by drawing the effect in photoshop. 

Incidentally,  you can apply stroke in InDesign, I applied text and stroke in InDesign first.

Thanks for your attempting to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, of course you can apply a stroke in InDesign. In InDesign it is not considered an "effect". In Photoshop it is considered an effect.

Glad you found an alternative.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My first thought is a bad/corrupt typeface. If this is a freebie typeface you got online, they aren't necessarily the best constructed files out there.

Regradless...what exactly have you applied as a stroke? Am I correct in assuming you've applied a reallllly thick stroke to your type? (i.e. yellow in one case, and light blue in the other). That has probably so over complicated your design that it's freaking out your printer's output. I would seriously consider doing this a different way, e.g. draw that bubble in Illustrator and place it behind the text that has NO stroke on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines