• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generating TOC and only showing part of a Paragraph Style

New Here ,
Apr 07, 2020 Apr 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Heading doesnt quite describe what i want but its close.

I want to generate a "List of Figures" Using the TOC Feature. I have already done that and it turned out perfect however i want the portion that is generated to only use the first sentance of each paragraph style. 

Why?All my images have a caption and I have correctly assigned them a caption paragraph style. 

I generated the TOC and its perfect except now i have to add at the end of each caption in the Document a source. I dont want that source to sho up in the TOC.

For example here is my caption:

Figure 4.11: Creating a Resilient Transportation Network. Source: Resilient Tampa Bay: Transportation Pilot Program Project

I want the TOC to only show

Figure 4.11: Creating a Resilient Transportation Network.

What kind of Trick, GREP or Nested Style can i set up so that i dont have to manually edit the TOC after generating it?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign will always collect the entire paragraph using a specified style and will copy it into the TOC. There is no way to tell InDesign to only copy part of the paragraph. You could use GREP find/change to remove the last section, but you will have to remember to run it after every update, so it's not a great "trick". 

It might be nice if InDesign could create a TOC from character styles—which would accomplish exactly what you want—but that feature doesn't exist.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats what i thought, I was wondering if i could apply a grep expression to "delete" or hide anything after the First or Second Period? I know i have run a GREP expression to "Hide" periods in a table so i was wondering if there was something i could do to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could add a GREP style or a Nested Style to your paragraph style. You would want it to take all of the text after the second period and apply a Character style with a very small size (.5 pt or something) and a character color of None.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Haha i just answered the previous reply asking about that.. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines