• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GET/POST PDF etc from Google Cloud Storage Bucket

Community Beginner ,
Feb 23, 2021 Feb 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am working with InDesign Server to create pdfs from idml templates. 

In my current tests I am reading and storing idml templates, images and pdfs from within the InDesign Server. However, I would like to store these resources in Google Cloud Storage. 

I have sucessfully read files from Google Cloud Storage using the socket class as long as the file is public. I have not been able to read private files or found a working solution to POST pdf's to Google Cloud Storage. Does anyone have expereince with this? 

The script I'm writing is in Adobe ExtendScript and I don't think it is advanced enough to work with the node.js Client Libary provided for Goggle Cloud Storage in Google Docs. So maybe working with C++, C#, PHP on the InDesign Server may be be route I need to take OR I can POST to another server and then have a script on that server upload the pdf to Goggle Cloud Storage.

Any suggestions or working samples would be appricated. 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Scripting , Sync and storage

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Nov 10, 2022 Nov 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never used the Socket class and maybe what you want to do is achievable with ExtendScript. However, I would rely on more robust technologies regarding HTTP transfers.

So if you want to use the ExtendScript and Node.js client, you could look at the app.doScript command in ExtendScript where you can call VisualBasic script. In the latter, you can have a call to the command line and have your node script run.

But sure you can tackle the whole thing in C# or PHP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Alexandria5E6B,

Socket is a very primitive object and you would have to implement much to add the missing features that would be needed for a meaningful interaction with the server. So the ideal way would be to either create a scriptable plugin using C++ InDesign sdk or use the method that @Loic.Aigon mentioned. Another way would be use C++ to create an Extendscript dll/framework which can add methods to Extendscript DOM, this gives the power to expose any C++ implementation directly into Extendscript and not having to deal with learning the InDesign C++ SDK. One such implementation is written by Kris, see the following post

https://coppieters.nz/?p=375

P.S.:- With UXP released probably we would have better support for these needs without resorting to C++

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2022 Nov 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Wouldn't be better to map it as a local drive? Looks like there are no free solutions but maybe it would be worth paying few $$$?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines