• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grammarly for InDesign

Participant ,
Jul 21, 2019 Jul 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a question, is there a plugin or something like Grammarly for InDesign?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 02, 2022 Aug 02, 2022

Hi @Lynn253307956z80 ,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing your feedback. Let me assure you, I'll share your feedback with the team and you can do that too by voting for this request https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601021-adobe-indesign-feature-requests/suggestions/20626498-grammar-check

This is the best way of sharing feedback with the Engineering and Product Management team.

Regards

Rishabh

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2019 Jul 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grammarly? Wouldn't put much trust in that

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Googling for "how good is Grammarly", a quote from the first blog that recommends it:

Grammarly is useful for both native english speakers and those who don't write in the english language that often.

… really bothers me.

That said: if you have to check grammar style in your InDesign document, you're a bit late. It's way easier (also faster, better, etc.) to do such checks in a much earlier stage. That is, assuming that you're not using InDesign to write stuff in! There are much better tools for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting response from the illustrator.uservoice.com (where the same thing was asked but inclusive of InDesign): Grammarly support for Illustrator and InDesign – Adobe Illustrator Feedback

TL;DR:

The admin's response: We have passed this request along to Grammarly and that while Grammarly thought it would be useful, they’re unable to prioritize it at this time.

Amount of votes at time of writing this reply: 236

Until that happens, the original poster may wish to check out the responses to this similar question over at IDS: https://indesignsecrets.com/topic/is-there-a-good-indesign-grammar-check-plugin

If the answer wasn't in my post, perhaps it might be on my blog at colecandoo!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will say this…Grammarly is excellent. I use it on the web all the time. It’s not just grammar that it checks, either. Does an excellent job with spelling, as well.

That said, I also agree that these things should be addressed BEFORE the text makes it to InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> That said, I also agree that these things should be addressed BEFORE the text makes it to InDesign.

It's useful for people who use InDesign as an authoring tool (apart from using it as a typesetter).

P.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps, but I would think Grammarly might be a better plugin to InCopy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 01, 2019 Dec 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes that is usually a given, however if you are creating works such as essays, which need citations an in text references, pasting these into indesign after the being written in another application is a nightmare(unless there is a method I am unaware of). A one stop shop so to speak would be a huge benefit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2020 May 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, but as you know on any project there are a lot of stakeholders and changes get made during and after layout. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's assuming you don't make any edits in your InDesign doc, and we all know clients both internal and external love to make changes to copy once they see it in a layout. Personally, I would love to see a version of Grammarly built into InDesign. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 27, 2021 Sep 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Curious if you've ever used it. I find it the most relied upon and useful plugin up there with "CleanMyMac" and "Suitcase Fusion" ... Wow. Perhaps you tried it before it's current upgrade? I highly recommend giving it a spin!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2021 Dec 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What a wonderfully insightful comment from an Adobe Community Profesional. Thanks for your input. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm afraid I have to disagree. Grammarly is a handy tool that helps create active language and is excellent for plain English and sense checking. I would suggest you try it rather than googling how good it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, everyone!

I am having so many problems with spell check in InDesign. I gave up trying to figure it out and fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, in France we are using Prolexis but i don't know if it's the best way for you !

Prolexis : ACCUEIL

But English language and American typo rules are in it .

Hope that help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

greenflymedia  wrote

I am having so many problems with spell check in InDesign. I gave up trying to figure it out and fix it.

I'll take the dive and ask anyway: are you sure you are using it correctly?

"Language" is, as it should be, a character attribute. You usually apply it through paragraph styles (which would set the default for your text), but you can overridethis with character styles, should the need occur (for instance if all text in French would also be italics, pourquois pas?) and of course you can apply it as an override for just le mot juste here and there.

I rarely "need" to spell-check, as my copy is usually (but alas, not always) correctly copy-edited before I get to see it, but I still rely on applying the correct language to selected phrases such as long quotes in another language than the main text, and occasionally on longer foreign words and proper names that may need hyphenating. That alone is a very important reason for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 23, 2019 Jul 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe... I have reset InDesign, did everything that was suggested.. and it still isn't working correctly. I just copy and paste and double-check my work in Grammarly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reopening this thread in hopes of some answer.
What I would be interested in seeing is a Grammarly plugin for InCopy. It will help me move out of the ecosystem of google docs and Microsoft word. Can we expect something like this soon?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2020 Dec 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why don't you send a request to the folks at Grammarly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2022 Jan 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry Bob, but many people use software many ways. I've found InCopy an anathema to my writing (within InDesign). 

I will contact Grammarly but was looking here first. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 14, 2021 Jan 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unlikely from an independent source.

Quoting from https://support.grammarly.com/hc/en-us/articles/360046352591-Can-I-use-Grammarly-API-

Can I use Grammarly API?
We do not offer a publicly available Grammarly API at this time.

As an alternative, you might consider Grammarly Business. This solution is designed for companies and offers unique features, such as a style guide and admin dashboard, which are not available to individual subscribers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you suggest that copy should be checked before it gets to InDesign is a bit unrealistic depending on your workflow.

We take text from documents new and old to generate content, and we have no idea if the content was proofread or checked in any way. It would be great to check the entire final document with Grammarly instead of, copying the copy to Word, checking the copy, then pasting it into InDesign, and so on. Don't hate the process, we're hoping for a solution based on our workflow. "copy checked with Grammarly Pro" I personally would love a plugin to check an InDesign or Illustrator file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MindGrammar Pro is our native InDesign solution. It works by underlining grammar errors found in the document. You can also display them by category in the InDesign preflight panel.

http://www.mindsteam.com/products/mindgrammarpro/index.html

Best regards,

Heath Horton

Mindsteam Software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 24, 2022 May 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning GreenFlyMedia.

I face the same problem as you as we do a lot of writing in InDesign after the initial doc in MS because we prefer to see the design taking shape, and coming to life.

That said, I round trip it...ID convert to PDF exported to Word and Grammarly. Now I have two documents open...the ID document (which will be corrected) and Word. Run Grammarly through the WORD doc and find the errors but correct them in ID at the same time.

It's a workaround. Not the best scenario, but catches punctuation and our grammar errors for those who like to see what they are getting from the get-go. Bosses---gotta love them and be flexible!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto your process, I use the PDF trick as well. In my case, I have an InDesign project that is heavy on images (a print catalog) with hundreds of disconnected captions and notes, most entered in situ. I appreciate spell check, so why the attitude against grammar or style check if a user finds it useful? It was disappointing to have the first responses from Adobe support be a putdown of a product and to question the, um, savviness? of the questioner without an understanding of their specific needs. I will note, Grammarly provided 2 useful alerts and fixes as I wrote this reply!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines