• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Grayscale image gets converted to RGB when saved with default PDF/X-1a settings

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be missing something really simple as I can't figure out why a grayscale image gets converted to RGB when the page is saved as a PDF/X-1a PDF. I am using InDesign CC 2019 and the default PDF/X-1a settings that come with it.

On the left the original image and on the right the same image opened from inside the newly created PDF.

Screenshot 2021-01-05 at 14.14.56.png

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

-kimmo

 

TOPICS
How to , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

The PDF/X-1a standard doesn’t allow RGB images—all process color gets converted to CMYK and grayscale images are put on the CMYK black plate. A conversion is happening when you open the image into Photoshop.

Rather than checking the image in Photoshop, use AcrobatPro’s Output Preview>Object Inspector, or Preflight to check the image’s color mode. Here I’m running a List Page Objects preflight, which shows the image is a grayscale:

Screen Shot 5.pngScreen Shot 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The PDF/X-1a standard doesn’t allow RGB images—all process color gets converted to CMYK and grayscale images are put on the CMYK black plate. A conversion is happening when you open the image into Photoshop.

Rather than checking the image in Photoshop, use AcrobatPro’s Output Preview>Object Inspector, or Preflight to check the image’s color mode. Here I’m running a List Page Objects preflight, which shows the image is a grayscale:

Screen Shot 5.pngScreen Shot 4.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Rob for explaining why it behaves the way it does and showing me a right way to check it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines