• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GREP Alternative

Nov 25, 2020 Nov 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear all,

There is one more problem I'm encountering as I typset the next book for our publishing house. Within my main body text paragraph style, I have been using two very helpful GREP stylings which automatically add a bit of space around em dashes and ellipses (by increasing the tracking space). But then, when I select an entire paragraph and manually change the tracking (as I work to prevent widows and orphans) the space around those em dashes and ellipses then gets overwritten. Does anyone have any suggestion on how better to do this so that the tracking space around these characters stays put? I've attached a snapshot of the GREP styles I'm using.

Many thanks,

Jonathan

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a totally normal behavior!

If you wanna play with a para global tracking, play it as "first" Grep styles!

(^/)  The Jedi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply. Yes, of course, I know it's normal and not something erroneous. But I still hope to find a workaround. What do you mean by "play it as a 'first' Grep styles"?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 26, 2020 Nov 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apparently, you play with a "layout" matter! …

2 funny ways:

Grep Styles, defining various "tracking" char styles, triggered by "non-joiner(s)" insertion at the end of para(s).

Capture d’écran 2020-11-26 à 16.08.35.png

[Of course, this could be made faster with script(s)!]

Or playing with "Justification" settings, like this:

[The script modifies itself the text frame paras "Justification" settings by incrementation until it is "happy" with the result!  =D ]

(^/)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines