Highlighted

Grouped elements exported from InDesign 2020 now tagged as figures

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I have just upgraded to InDesign 2020 from 2019 and have come across an annoying issue when it comes to creating accessible documents with groups now requiring tagging.

Previously a group when exported wasn't tagged itself, it was the elements within the group that required to either be made an artefact or were elements which was required to be read by a screen reader and needed ALT text added or were text boxes containing text which needed to be read by the screen reader.

I have now found that a group itself now requires tagging and the elements within it don't. what I mean by that is the elements within a group can be left and the group can be set to artefact instead. This is great from those complex groups with mutltiple elements with you now only have to do the one tag, however when you have a group which contains both elements which should be artefacts and elements which need to be read, the group is appearing as a figure with no ALT text and throws up an error.

There are ways around it like ungrouping or retagging once you have exported but this is adding complexity to the process which wasn't there before.

Does anyone know a work around for this?

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Grouped elements exported from InDesign 2020 now tagged as figures

New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I have just upgraded to InDesign 2020 from 2019 and have come across an annoying issue when it comes to creating accessible documents with groups now requiring tagging.

Previously a group when exported wasn't tagged itself, it was the elements within the group that required to either be made an artefact or were elements which was required to be read by a screen reader and needed ALT text added or were text boxes containing text which needed to be read by the screen reader.

I have now found that a group itself now requires tagging and the elements within it don't. what I mean by that is the elements within a group can be left and the group can be set to artefact instead. This is great from those complex groups with mutltiple elements with you now only have to do the one tag, however when you have a group which contains both elements which should be artefacts and elements which need to be read, the group is appearing as a figure with no ALT text and throws up an error.

There are ways around it like ungrouping or retagging once you have exported but this is adding complexity to the process which wasn't there before.

Does anyone know a work around for this?

TOPICS
Bug, How to, Import and export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This was incorrectly coded by the InDesign engineers.

Hopefully, we'll have better output of groups in the future (no promises).

For now, UNgroup the items before exporting to PDF, unless you really want a bazillion graphic fragments melded together as a <Figure>.

Ideally, I'd like to have 3 options when I group something:

1. Tag the whole group as a <Figure>. (What it's doing in 2020)
  2. Tag the whole group as an <Artifact>.
  3. Keep the individual pieces tagged as <P>, <Figure>, <Caption>, etc. and group them in a <Sect> tag.

It would be incredibly helpful if InDesign could give us these options.

Bevi Chagnon | Designer & Technologist for Accessible InDesign + PDFs | Books @ www.PubCom.com/books — NEW! Accessible InDesign + PDF

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bevi

I was affraid that was going to be the answer.

Will just have to manage the process to get around this hurdle until Adobe address the issue.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 21, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vote for the solution at https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/38971693-image-tags-all...

www.InDesign.UserVoice.com  is Adobe's portal for making feature requests and reporting bug fixes.

Votes are counted, and the engineers need a critical number of votes in order for the problem to be noticed and (hopefully) get fixed.

Vote early!  Vote often!  Have your co-designers and workteam members vote. Tell everyone at your AIGA chapter and other professional organizations.

VOTE.

Without your vote, we don't have a chance of getting the tools we need.

Bevi Chagnon | Designer & Technologist for Accessible InDesign + PDFs | Books @ www.PubCom.com/books — NEW! Accessible InDesign + PDF

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 24, 2020 0