Highlighted

GUI editor for .fr files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello friends,

The .fr files seem to have elements with coordinates. Is there a GUI way of visualizing the .fr files? Basically I am unable to understand how to position my controls in .fr files in a WYSIWYG way.

Or am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Manan Joshi | Adobe Community Professional

Understanding and putting together UI in fr file is one of the most frustrating aspects i feel in the plugin development. So i would suggest that you do assess how important it is for you to create a UI using fr. If it is something that can be avoided i prefer using a hybrid solution where the model part would be served by the plugin and UI can be created via other means like scriptui, cep etc

-Manan

Topics

SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

GUI editor for .fr files

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello friends,

The .fr files seem to have elements with coordinates. Is there a GUI way of visualizing the .fr files? Basically I am unable to understand how to position my controls in .fr files in a WYSIWYG way.

Or am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Manan Joshi | Adobe Community Professional

Understanding and putting together UI in fr file is one of the most frustrating aspects i feel in the plugin development. So i would suggest that you do assess how important it is for you to create a UI using fr. If it is something that can be avoided i prefer using a hybrid solution where the model part would be served by the plugin and UI can be created via other means like scriptui, cep etc

-Manan

Topics

SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jul 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No such tool exists. Using the debug build of InDesign you can move around elements placed on a UI interface and even generate code for it, but that's pretty much it.

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Advisor ,
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you can specify coordinates, that is only required for few widgets and old "CS" versions.

InDesign supports automatic layout with symbolic values for spacing etc.

Search the SDK for "EVE" … (still no GUI editor, though)

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"If your dialog doesn't look right when displayed in InDesign, you can use the panel editor to help you. It now features a display of EVE info, which might help you to figure out why your dialog is awry. It also gives you the number of pixels for space after and for margins, if you're looking for that.".

What exactly is Panel Editor and where can I find it.

Thanks for your help

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what i was describing in my first post. This is available only on the debug version of InDesign

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jul 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

-Manan

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines