Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

hanging indent for bulleted list - how?

Jul 18, 2009 Jul 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see how to configure one instance of a bulleted list so that it has a hanging indent.  But I want a style that does that, not a one-off.  Darned if I can figure out how to indent so that the text aligns, and the bullet itself sticks out to the left, as a style.

Like this:

*  some text goes here

to show how the indent looks

and also below

like this

Sorry for such a basic question but I cannot find this in any of my usual resources.

YC

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 18, 2009 Jul 18, 2009

Give the text a Left Indent, then use a corresponding negative value for First Line Indent. Type a Tab after the bullet. Also look up Bullets and Numbering in the help files. Also also, tell us what version of InDesign you're using next time.

Screen 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give the text a Left Indent, then use a corresponding negative value for First Line Indent. Type a Tab after the bullet. Also look up Bullets and Numbering in the help files. Also also, tell us what version of InDesign you're using next time.

Screen 1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much, Scott.  Apologies on missing ID rev.

best

YC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Or open the tabs palette. Select your text box, then click the magnet on the extreme right of the text palette to stick it to the text box. Drag both triangles to the right, then drag the top one back to the left. Of course you have to put the bullet in manually.

screenshot_01.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 19, 2009 Jul 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bullets and numbering can be built into a style definition, too.

Are you saying, perhaps, also that you want an un-bulleted but indented paragraph as a follower to a bulleted paragraph? To do that you'd follow Scott's advice, but don't add the negative first-line indent in a new style and apply that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 21, 2009 Jul 21, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Peter - I hadn't realized it but I'll need your scenario as well as Scott's.  Two different applications.

YC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to do something similar, I think, but I can't seem to make the text in the subsequent lines to wrap under the text, as shown below:

Screen Shot 2017-04-27 at 4.18.50 pm.png

I want the text under the bullets that are part of the same paragraph to align to the text, not the bullet. I can't seem to work it out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2017 Apr 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the advices above?

Build up a paragraph style and use the settings in the Bullet & Numbered List section.

Where do you find the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I think the answer to your problem is here (read the last paragraphs):

https://indesignsecrets.com/how-to-hang-text-in-the-margin.php

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2018 Feb 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a keyboard short-cut click just before the text after the bullet and press ( cmd + \ ) for mac and (ctrl + \) for pc. Hope this helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 19, 2018 Feb 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Gomen33  wrote

There is a keyboard short-cut click just before the text after the bullet and press ( cmd + \ ) for mac and (ctrl + \) for pc.

Although the "Indent to here" command works, it cannot be put into a style. Best practices are to use a left indent with a first line outdent and to create and use a style.

The first post for this was in 2009, and that may have been before InDesign added the Bullets feature, which can be found in the Paragraph section of the Control panel, the Control panel menu, and the Paragraph panel. Now that it's here, use that dialog box with Preview on to customize the settings.

And then remember to create and use a Paragraph style for the bullets (as well as for all other paragraphs.)

More info here:

Create bulleted and numbered lists in InDesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines