Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having problems with my fixed layout EPUB export

New Here ,
Oct 13, 2020 Oct 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I worked on a book project last month about gamification in digital meetings. The book is bilingual, so I needed to put two languages in the page, left side Turkish, right side English. Almost all pages have shapes on the edges where I wrote the category name on top if it, and we have some pages with illustrations.

I already took an interactive PDF export, but my client asked to have epub as well. I've never worked with EPUB before and after I did some research I learned that I need to do a fixed layout one to keep layouts, illustrations and bilingual flow in place and I already read comments that interactive PDF would do just fine. My client was informed about this but still they wanted some EPUB so here we are.

I did the arrangements with image formats and etc. When I exported, I chose "Based on Document Setup" on spread controls and selected imaged to be exported as PNG. I exported and checked on Calibre and WOW, that didn't look like what I was intented. I also checked the export in online viewers and the problems are:

• Things that I left outside the page layout are still visible. Example
  • Left page is bigger than the right page. Example

Now, the thing is, I checked the exports on an iPad and iPhone usings iBooks and everything is fine.
I checked in on Play Books on my Android phone, and everything is working fine.
But online viewers and Calibre seems off. I got a chance to check it in Macbook tonight, and while in windowed mode everything is as smooth as on iPad, when we went fullscreen it got stuck left pages, you can literally slide it with the mouse to see the rest of the objects that should flow to the left screen. Between the transition of the pages, again you can see rest of the illustrations and objects.

I've never worked with EPUB, and I don't know if these are normal or I screwed up in somewhere in my InDesign document/object settings or during the export ? If I choose "Convert Spread to Landscapce Page" on spread controls, all problems are solved, but that reduces the readability in tablets, and it's basically turns into an interactive PDF as far as I saw.

I'm due to send the export the client soon. I already sent the PDF and told them I had some technical problems with EPUB but don't want to keep them waiting too much, or if this export is how it supposed to be, than I need to explain it's limitations (where they can use) and a brief why.

Thanks in advance!

TOPICS
EPUB , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beyond the Books app on iPad, iPhone and Mac, reader support for fixed layout epub is pretty bad. You can try Thorium which is beginning to show some promise. https://www.edrlab.org/software/thorium-reader

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, I installed Thorium and the reading experience is much better than other online viewers and Calibre. I'll be using in future if I need an epub reader. But even in Thorium my problem still continues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
The worst part is that Adobe has its own epub reader and it's garbage. They should be embarrassed by Adobe Digital Editions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines