• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Having trouble saving a large (7 500pp) InDesign merged file into a PDF

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, we are trying to save a large (7 500pp) merged file (merged in InDesign) into a PDF, and it keeps showing the following message after it's trying to save for a very long time:  'InDesign quit unexpectedly'.  We have also received 'Files is corrupted' message.  The merge was successful - we just can't seem to save it as a PDF.  HELP...please!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me move this to the InDesign forum for you.

The Using the Community forum is for help in using the Adobe Support Community forums, not for help with specific programs. Product questions should be posted in the associated product community.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LinSims There was already a duplicate in the InDesign forum

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sorry - yes, we moved it our question to the In Design forum!  I realised I had posted it in the wrong forum but didn't know how to get rid of the post!  Thank you kindly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this a single file or in nm InDesign book file? I'm not sure what you mean by (7 500pp)--is that seven files in an ID book, seven independent files, or 7,500 pp in a single file?

What are the specs of your system--particularly RAM and available hard drive space?

What method are you using to create your merge--Data Merge, XML, or a third-party plugin?

Assuming your system is capable, I would disable background processing.

Then try using the "binary method" to test your file.

Output the first half of the book, then the second half.

If you get an error on one half or both, split that in half again.

For example, if 7500 pages, output 1-3750 and then 3751-7500.

If the first half generates an error, split it into two parts: 1-1875 and 1876-3750.

Keep splitting until you can pinpoint the error. 

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exact same issue only with a much smaller file.  Upgraded sytem over the weekend and now I am incapacitated.  I uninstalled the program, reinstalled the program.  Created "sample pages", tried to convert to pdf files created as recently as Friday to absolutely NO avail.  I am very frustrated as I have a magazine deadline to meet.  I continue to receive a message thet there is no "workaround" to my error.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@caumock  If you upgraded the system then I would look at if the system changed security permissions. What system did you upgrade to specifically? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign indiucated that there was a software upgrade avaiable.  I installed the upgrade and now am having all sorts of issues.  I am no longer able to modify document pages, delete pages, edit content or even insert pictures without InDesign crashing.  I continue to send the pronlem to InDesign.  The response is that there is "no work around".  At the very least I like to go back to the pre-upgraded software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK I thought it was your OS. May be a stupid question but did you restart the computer after the upgrade/downgrade? I find that after updates a restart is good practice to get good performance. (I try to avoid any changes to OS or Software if there is a major deadline, risk is too high)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, twice so far. Over the weekend my "proofers" found a couple errors on two pages of the magazine I am trying to pucblish.  In an attempt to work around the issue, so I can publish, I am deleting acceptable pages created last week and then try to export smaller, single page, documents. My InDesign crashes after I delete roughly 30% of the document... then I start all over again.  Thank you fopr your help, this novice really appreciates the support.  Looking forward to a "fix".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not go back to the version that worked with the Creative Cloud app?

image.png

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great suggestion, I am in the process of doing just that.  Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmm, went back to the previous version, rebooted system.. no joy.  Any other help would be appreciated. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go back one complete version, not an incremental upgrade. Save your file as an IDML and open in prior version (or use a backup that you should have to make sure the current file is not corrupt).

Also, don't work off a server and move it out of any auto-uploading folders such as the Creative Cloud folder, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@caumock @Creamer Training has given you some great suggestions so far and I'm sorry you don't have a fix yet. You wrote, "I continue to receive a message thet there is no "workaround" to my error." Where or how are you receiving this message? Can you provide a screenshot of the message? Can you give us your OS information and what exact version you rolled back to? I'm also not sure why you are "deleting" part of the document. Can you export to PDF a range of pages successfully? Just trying to imagine more about what you are experiencing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dat Merge has been somewhat finicky since version 7 (CS5). I would suggest two things. First, start clean and redo the merge. In my experience, once a merged file has failed it will never work correctly again. Second, break this into several smaller merge documents and you might have better luck.

One other piece of advice is NEVER do a merge preview, or if you have no faith and insist, be sure the very next thing you do is an Undo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The "File Corrupt" in an indication that there is a permissions problem. Make sure no other programs are accessing the folder you are working in and close the folder completely. Access it only through InD. Unless there is a specific reason to do so, you shouldn't be merging to a new document with such a large file. Merge directly to a PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines