Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Heading number duplicates

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I have a document with several styles of headings, one of which ("Heading 1 Section") uses a numbered list  in capital letters prior to the heading. At some point I discovered that two consecutive headings bear the same letter ("C"). "B" precedes the first "C" and "D" follows the second "C". 

SeSAlex_1-1619038732311.png

Even the TOC displays 2 "C"s.

ID02.png

The style.

ID03.png

I have toggled a different style on all headings involved to no avail. I cannot figure out how to reset the sequence to continue number properly (A,B,C,D...).

I have been working on this file a few weeks and just discovered this today.

Help, please and thanks. My intel
ID04.png

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2021 Apr 21, 2021

First thing I would do is define a list name for your headings.Your list is using the default list and most likely, another numbering system is getting added. If you define a separate list, you can set it to continue over all stories--plus the list will be isolated from other lists.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First thing I would do is define a list name for your headings.Your list is using the default list and most likely, another numbering system is getting added. If you define a separate list, you can set it to continue over all stories--plus the list will be isolated from other lists.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there.

I did try that earlier today and just retried again with a completely unique name. Changed it in the TOC etc. No dice.

Any other ideas? And thanks so much for responding so quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance I can look at the file? Click on my profile name and you can message me for my email.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. I was an idiot. All is well unless you want to check out the file as it currently stands. LOL. Cheers. Have a super 24 hours!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 22, 2021 Apr 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you let us know what the solution was for other users that might have the same problem in the future?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing. As you suggested, I created a new list (instead of using the Default), allowing me to Continue Numbers across Stories.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

ID07.pngID06.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Clearly my document has gone mental. 

ID05.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, got it now. I misread LIST name as STYLE name. sigh.

You rock. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines