Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Heavy Server Problems with InDesign

New Here ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

we are working on an company windows server, but we have heavy problems in working, because after every step of doing something in InDesign (text, pictures, scrolling) InDesign is freezing for about 10 to 40 seconds. After that you can scroll and doing the next working step and then again – freezing.

When i am working with the documents local i have no problems, but this couldn't be the choice for working?

Do anyone know what our administrators have to configure on the windows server that it is possible to work on with InDesign?
Also working on the Adobe-Cloud is working fine – but our company normally doesn't allow working on unauthorized cloud storage.

Please some links or advices would be helping very much.

– Newest version of InDesign CC is installed

– Apple macOS Sierra 10.12.6

– iMac Retina 5K, 27 Zoll/2015

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

I agree that it's stone age to work locally, but there are institutional environments where designers can't get the bandwidth they need to run without the freezes or hangs.

When you can get bandwidth analytics on the network traffic, you can see the difference of what a 12-page Word document produces versus a 12-page InDesign document. It's tremendous. And InCopy is a lightweight, like Word.

Generally, IT departments don't know how InDesign files tax a network and usually set the server, network,

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the actual version, never say "latest version" because so often the problem is a failed update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version: Adobe InDesign CC 13.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's generally not recommended to use InDesign with the INDD files themselves on a server. The slowdown (or freeze) you describe is common when you do.

Remember, you're transferring a lot of data between the server and your computer. And desktop publishing programs in general, tend to "hit" on the files quite often as we designers work on the files. The screen is constantly being refreshed as we edit type, change colors, move frames, etc.

That's a lot of constant back and forth "chatter" between your computer and the file server.

There are several items that affect how fast the communication is between your computer and the server:

• The speed and bandwidth of the network itself.
  • Whether you're accessing the server via WiFi or a network cabled. (WiFi is slow slow slow.)
  • How many other people are sharing the network's bandwidth at the time you're computer is communicating with the server.
  • How many graphics and other elements you have on the particular InDesign pages you're editing/designing.

The only solution I've seen improve this is to have a separate file server just for the graphic designers. Keep the rest of the office off it to reduce the amount of traffic.

But even then, when the design team is on deadline and hitting their own server every second, there still will be a lag or freeze as you describe.

The best solution is to have the files (INDD plus all the linked graphic files) on each workstation. It will keep up the speed, especially for large, graphics-intensive projects.

But you'll have to enforce the policy of putting everything back on the server at the end of every workday. Or synch them daily to the CC Cloud, DropBox, or another cloud storage area.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be no issue when using InDesign on a properly configured server. Collaborative workflow require a server. Many companies require that their employees work with a server. InCopy workflows require a server.

In many environments, working on a desktop is simply an unacceptable workaround. It’s a troubleshooting step to narrow the issue down.

The server administrators have a job to do…make them do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bob,

thank you, i also think primary it is a configuration problem of the server, in other design companies, it was never a problem to work on functionally servers. But also the question is, our administrator is over with work and have no experience in connection macs to the network. Are there any websites with informations how to do it?

Also we have a cable network, with 1000 M/bits on every workplace, this was my administrator told me. I have checked everything on my mac, so the problem is the configuration of the server. Also working with the Adobe Cloud/Library is just perfect.

Yes, but when we go back to work in teams and put alle the graphic stuff on each workspace, then we are back in the stone age.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've dealt with these situations in the past and one thing you can do is set up another Mac with file sharing enabled. Put some files on that machine, connect to it over the network from another mac and open/work on files. This will prove that the network is fine but the server is an issue. I'd just google some resources or possibly hire a consultant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well you've already troubleshooted what Adobe support would have you do and that's verifying that the issue is the server. Although Adobe doesn't officially support working off of a server, it's totally feasible and unavoidable in a group/team environment. I've worked off of a server for more than 20 years now.

Now, the issue is the server so I'm afraid you'll need to get your IT department involved. I'd look at the protocol being used/method of connecting and troubleshoot from there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that it's stone age to work locally, but there are institutional environments where designers can't get the bandwidth they need to run without the freezes or hangs.

When you can get bandwidth analytics on the network traffic, you can see the difference of what a 12-page Word document produces versus a 12-page InDesign document. It's tremendous. And InCopy is a lightweight, like Word.

Generally, IT departments don't know how InDesign files tax a network and usually set the server, network, and workstations as if everyone is using MS Word all day long.

IT should look at its complete setup: the server itself, the network, switches, protocols, settings between Macs on Windows servers, even the RJ45 LAN cables. One client had an old Cat5/100 cable on a workstation instead of a 1000. We've found that certain security software/settings slows down the process too; example, scanning the files every time InDesign refreshes the user's screen and makes the call to the server for the files. 

Since the OP mentioned that their Macs are tapping into a Windows server, it's likely that IT hasn't optimized the settings to allow the Macs on the Windows network. And they might not be able to, depending upon their network and other requirements.

All it takes is one throttle somewhere in the system to cause the slow down. Most likely, IT will spend quite a bit of time trying this and that to improve the situation for you.

If that's the type of situation the OP is in, then we've found that the best solution is what I recommended above: put the graphics team on a separate node of the network. It's easy to set up a NAS that pipes through to the server and keeps the bulk of their traffic on their NAS (or other type of "server"), and keeps them from fighting for bandwidth on the main server. And they can still tap into the main server as usual to grab files, perform automated backups, and other shared network services.

The theory is like building hi-speed HOV commuter lanes on superhighways versus being stuck with the regular vehicle traffic. Giving InDesign it's own "HOV lane" is one of the easiest and best solutions.

(And as former configurators of high-end design and digital media installations for corporate and government, we love NASes. They more seamlessly allow Macs and Windows to co-exist on the same network.)

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Giving them their own network is certainly a viable, and likely the easiest fix here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines