• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help a beginner make a pretty map index?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm looking to create a map index that looks something like this: Map.jpg

I already have the map created, and I have the index created in excel as well. What I would really like to do is to replicate what this map maker has done and to have the streetname and the grid pages to be an equal number distance appart and separated by repeating periods. Is that possible in indesign? If not, are you aware of another method I could use to accomplish this? 

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Set a right-faced tab stop at the end of the line, and type a period in the Leader box in the tab panel.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 3.08.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Sep 24, 2020 Sep 24, 2020

Select the table, and in the Table menu, choose Convert Table to Text

You will get the option to choose tabs for column separators, and Paragraph returns for row separators. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set a right-faced tab stop at the end of the line, and type a period in the Leader box in the tab panel.

Screen Shot 2020-09-24 at 3.08.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this work if I am working within a table? I can't seem to get it to set a tab. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is what it looks like for me. Clicking on anything in the tabs window does nothing. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Matt5C97_0-1600977378146.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well. I figured out how to add the leaders, however it is pretty much confined to the cell. I'm guessing it is a limitation of working with a table? Is there a way to convert a table to tab separated text? Seems like it might be a lot easier to format that way. Here is what I have now:

Matt5C97_0-1600980558750.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Select the table, and in the Table menu, choose Convert Table to Text

You will get the option to choose tabs for column separators, and Paragraph returns for row separators. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You are my hero. This was the trick I was missing. I'm halfway through making a pretty map index now! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 25, 2020 Sep 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm glad to be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines