Highlighted

HELP (again) Not seeing fonts!!!

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah - another problem with an Adobe program I have been using for YEARS - and never had issues with until I started paying monthly for it.
What happens is I will open a file I was working on yesterday (or an hour ago), and it will tell me that fonts are missing. I CREATED THE DOCUMENT. The fonts ARE installed on my system, since I used them as I created the document. . Duh.

And if I humor it, and go and try and reinstall the fonts, it tells me they are already installed.

If you have a solution that would be great. I am going crazy here. I HATE THIS.

This is InDesign 2020 I am attempting to work in - I am on a MAC- running High Sierra 10.13.6.

Topics

Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

HELP (again) Not seeing fonts!!!

Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah - another problem with an Adobe program I have been using for YEARS - and never had issues with until I started paying monthly for it.
What happens is I will open a file I was working on yesterday (or an hour ago), and it will tell me that fonts are missing. I CREATED THE DOCUMENT. The fonts ARE installed on my system, since I used them as I created the document. . Duh.

And if I humor it, and go and try and reinstall the fonts, it tells me they are already installed.

If you have a solution that would be great. I am going crazy here. I HATE THIS.

This is InDesign 2020 I am attempting to work in - I am on a MAC- running High Sierra 10.13.6.

Topics

Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is InDesign telling you that the fonts are already installed or is it a Mac message? It seems possible that there is some corruption in the program which hopefully can be fixed by resetting your InDesign preferences. This will set the program back to its defaults and should make the app function properly.

To do so ojn a Mac:

The User Library folder in which InDesign’s preferences are stored is hidden by default on most Macintoshes. To access it make sure that InDesign is closed and click on the desktop to launch a Finder Window (Command-N). With this window in column view follow the path User>Home folder (it’s the folder with an icon that looks like a house—it may have the user’s name rather than “Home”) and click on the Home folder. With the Option Key pressed choose Library from the Finder Go Menu. “Library” will now appear within the Home folder. Within the Library folder find the folder called Preferences and within it find the folder called “Adobe InDesign” and the file called “com.adobe.InDesign.plist” and delete both that folder and that file. When InDesign is next launched it will create new preference files and the program will be restored to its defaults.

The advantage of manually deleting preference files in this manner is that after you’ve reset up the program (make sure that no document window is open) to your liking, you can create copies of your personalized “mint” preference files (make sure that you quit the program before copying them—that finalizes your customization) and use them in the future to replace any corrupt versions you may need to delete.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi-

Thanks for replying. I followed your instructions. However, the file "com.adobe.InDesign.plist" was not contained in the InDesign folder. I found it in the Preferences folder instead. (See screen shot.) Should I still just go and delete it? Or is it somehow in the wrong place?
Screen Shot 2020-08-20 at 1.29.35 PM.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. That is correct. Delete it.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!! I hope this works!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this didn't work.

Same thing happening today. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you’ll need to bypass Font Book to determine whether the problem is with InDesign or Font Book.

Try copying the problem fonts into the InDesign Fonts folder /Applications/Adobe InDesign 2020/Fonts, or the computer Fonts folder  /StartupDrive/Library/Fonts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could also try quiting Font Book and delete or move its prefs out of the Preferences folder and restarting FontBook:

/Users/username/Library/Preferences/com.apple.FontBook.plist

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, when you open the ID file and the fonts are missing, does the Font Book control panel show the fonts are turned on (bold)? And have you tried validating the fonts to make sure they are OK. Here’s an old copy of Avenir (Type 1) that doesn’t pass:

Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 2.26.31 PM copy.png

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried moving the font to the InDesign font folder, didn't help.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2020 PM.jpgAvenir is the font I am having problems with! But it checked out okay on my computer: 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Immediately after validating the font. I went to open the InDesign file and this is what I saw:
Screen Shot 2020-08-21 at 12.35.34 PM.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And before you ask if AvenScreen Shot 2020-08-21 at 12.40.16 PM.jpgir Black is enabled - it is:

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The fonts ARE installed on my system, since I used them as I created the document. . Duh.

Are you using a font management application? What format are the fonts Type1, TrueType, OTF? If you are not using a font management app, which System folder are you installing the fonts in? Do the fonts work correctly if you install them in the InDesign application’s font folder /Applications/Adobe InDesign 2020/Fonts?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Font Book. 

If the fonts were there and usable when I initally created the document, why would they suddenly NOT be there an hour later? If the fonts weren't available to InDesign, they would not have shown up in the first place, And when I Package the document, it gathers the font and puts it the font folder. So I doubt the problem has anything to do with the font format or location. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

why would they suddenly NOT be there an hour later?

The problem could easily be with Font Book, in my experience, it is not nearly as reliable as font manager utilities like Font Agent or Suitcase Fusion.

The test would be to bypass Font Book and manually install some fonts in your user font folder—/Users/username/Library/Fonts, or in the InDesign Application Font folder, and see if you have problems with those fonts.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree with Rob Day. Forget about Font Book and simply drag the fonts into InDesign's Fonts folder. If that doesn't work I suggest uninstalling InDesign and then reinstalling it while also deleting all past preferences.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved the font to the ID font folder - same thing happened.
So far, nothing is working. I guess I could go back to an older version of InDesign, that worked fine. While I still pay for the new ones I can't use. I had to do the same thing with Photoshop - though those issues finally got resolved with the last update.
When I owned my own software - I NEVER had these problems. Ever. CS6 worked just fine for YEARS.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to set the record straight, the problem you're having has NOTHING to do with owning or not owning your software. That's absurd.

Did you try uninstalling and then reinstalling InDesign? Have you also restarted your computer at anytime through this process?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You guys work for Adobe?
I have been looking all over for help, and I found THIS from months ago!
Apparently, with all these various fixes I have been trying, the problem, as I suspected, is not with my system- But a problem with the software. I'm over here jumping through hoops for nothing! LOL
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39867358-major-system-f...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No - my issue is HAVING to KEEP paying for somethng that doesn't work correctly. I thought that meaning was obvious. 
And MY EXPERIENCE - is that I had NO problems with CS6. I have had nothing but problems since I started using software I have to rent. 

Would YOU want to keep paying rent on something that doesn't work right?

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And of course I restarted my computer. 
All of this is a moot point - as I found out this is an ongoing software issue that has been happening for months.
https://indesign.uservoice.com/forums/601180-adobe-indesign-bugs/suggestions/39867358-major-system-f...

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
rob day LATEST
Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do not work for Adobe.

All software has bugs. CS6 and CC2020 are both installed as applications, the method of payment doesn’t change anything about how they are installed or run.

The bug report you linked to happens with Packages and packaged fonts, and was happening with version 15.0.2. Have you run the most recent update to 15.1.1?

I am also using High Sierra OSX and can’t replicate the problem—I have a machines running Font Agent and Font Book and neither has a font problem.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines