• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help!! Can't resize image properly!

New Here ,
May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason I literally can't figure out, I cannot resize an image in Indesign without the shape getting completely messed up. I'm new to the program, so I might be missing something, but I've done a ton of searching online and can't figure out what my problem is. I am selecting the image, holding down "command" (I'm on a mac) and dragging the corner of the image, which should would (it worked yesterday for some reason??). But now it won't keep the image in its original shape. Has this happened to anyone else, and can you help me? Thank you so much!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Community Expert , May 26, 2020 May 26, 2020

You must also hold down the shift key to constrain the proportions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Hold the Shift key to constrain the aspect ratio.

Hold the Shift key and the Command key to constrain the aspect ratio and resize the contents at the same time.

Add Option to resize from the center, out.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Also, there are two selection tools—Selection (black arrow), and Direct Selection (white arrow), and every image has two parts—the image and its parent holding frame. They can be selected together or independently.

Here I have direct selected (white arrow) the corner of the parent frame (not the image), so I can change the shape of the parent frame:

sel1.png

If I direct select a corner of the image it will scale when I drag—add Shift to constrain.

sel2.png

With the black Selection tool I can select

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must also hold down the shift key to constrain the proportions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hold the Shift key to constrain the aspect ratio.

Hold the Shift key and the Command key to constrain the aspect ratio and resize the contents at the same time.

Add Option to resize from the center, out.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, there are two selection tools—Selection (black arrow), and Direct Selection (white arrow), and every image has two parts—the image and its parent holding frame. They can be selected together or independently.

Here I have direct selected (white arrow) the corner of the parent frame (not the image), so I can change the shape of the parent frame:

sel1.png

If I direct select a corner of the image it will scale when I drag—add Shift to constrain.

sel2.png

With the black Selection tool I can select the parent frame, and with Command-Shift pressed, the frame and image will scale constrained.

sel3.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm having this problem - as well as others too. I've done the above. Worked well at first. I'm doing a multi page document. And yes, I'm new with InDesign. I placed 3 images just as stated above, they did just fine. Now on the 4th one, it's not working. It's self-cropping the image, while staying in the corner & obviously enlarging greatly. Not resizing.

I'm trying all kinds of various adjustments as well, using the Frame fitting. Nothings helps. I'm just getting disgusted with this app that I'm paying bucks for every month & I had large expectations for. I already uninstalled & reinstalled it once. Because it was doing all kinds of weird things. The cloud keeps telling me it's missing or damaged in some window coming up - even though I've done all the updates. I've been on Support with all kinds of suggestions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 29, 2020 Sep 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Can you share a sample InDesign file with the problem via a filesharing app like Dropbox or your CC account?

It sounds like you may have pasted a frame and its image into another graphic frame or anchored it in a text frame, but it would be easier see the file rather than guessing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines