• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! can't write äüö in indesign

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I use indesign on a macbook. Can´t write öäü but I need it for german text. Anyone knows what to do? Much love, AYA.

TOPICS
Print , Scripting , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Apr 25, 2020 Apr 25, 2020

I see from your screenshot that you are using Lao MN, which is an Asian language font that doesn't contain the characters you need. When a font is missing a glyph that is used in a document, InDesign displays it as a square highlighted in pink.

You'll need to use a different font for your book.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have a look at Type > Glyphs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! I have a text of 9000 words for a book. Is there another option? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So do you mean that you are not able to type German in InDesign but are able to do so in other applications like MS Word? If you how about copying the formatted text from Word to InDesign. Also have a look at the following webpage if you are not able to type in any application

https://www.thoughtco.com/type-german-characters-on-keyboard-4090210

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you provide more information about your project? There are different ways to proceed depending on what you're working with and what you are trying to accomplish.

• Does the German content already exist in another document or are you developing from scratch? InDesign is great for layout, but I wouldn't use it to write anything more than a 1- or 2-page document. But you can place text into InDesign, and as long as the font you're using has the proper characters, they will show up properly in InDesign.
  • How often do you need those characters? Is all of the content in German or just some of the content? If it's only those three characters, and you only need them occasionally, could you keep them either on the pasteboard or in another document and copy and paste when needed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your detailed response. I wrote the text in wordpress and copied it to in a text form on a page in indesign. If I write öäü directly in indesign or copy and paste, it turns into a square. ..

Today I bought indesign for my macbook, so the settings are still basic.

I use it to publish a german book. There are many!! öäü. What to do?

Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 20.17.50.png.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you select the word with the missing glyph and change the font to Minion Pro or Myriad Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see from your screenshot that you are using Lao MN, which is an Asian language font that doesn't contain the characters you need. When a font is missing a glyph that is used in a document, InDesign displays it as a square highlighted in pink.

You'll need to use a different font for your book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2020 Apr 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

THANK YOU! Yes, this solved it! I switched to another font. Many blessings, Jasmina.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the font. Use a font that supports trema characters. I can assure you: with Indesign you can write any character that your font supports. Please look here for more information on a font to use: https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/using/language-support-subsetting.html.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines