• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

help! missing toolbar!

New Here ,
Nov 09, 2011 Nov 09, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. I am sure other people have posted on this and that the answer is right in front of me, but I've looked through the forum and haven't found a solution to my specific problem. I've opened up InDesign CS5 and the toolbar that typically sits on the left of my screen is gone. This is the toolbar with the draw text box option, etc. As far as I know I haven't changed any of my settings. I've pressed tab to see if anything pops up to no avail. My screen resolution is as high as it goes. I am an InDesign novice and use it for pretty basic purposes.

Any idea where this toolbar might be?

Thanks.

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011

OK, that means there's a potentially fixable problem with the old one. Try switching back and resetting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Operating System? How many monitors do you have?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One monitor; Windows 7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Window>Tools

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you--I have tried this and the only thing that happens is that the ruler on the left side of the screen disappears and then reappears when tools is checked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2011 Nov 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see other panels? What color is the background?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2011 Nov 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Everything looks essentially like it always did. The background is grey--there is a panel to the right with pages, layers, links, etc., and the toolbar along the top for wrapping text, rotating images, and so on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try selecting another workspace. I'm thinking the one you are using might either be corrupt or you managed somehow to moove the toolbox off-screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! creating a new workspace seemed to bring the toolbar back into sight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, that means there's a potentially fixable problem with the old one. Try switching back and resetting it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hit the tab button, poof!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 20, 2012 Sep 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tab shows/hides ALL panels, not just the Tools, so your problem was a bit different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh my gosh, I've been searching for how long how to get this back....thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm already in 'edit' mode, and and need to expand the active text box. Pressing 'Tab' simply edits text in the existing text box. IOW, the 'Tab' cannot help me here.

Any ideas appreciated, as always.

jwc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2017 Mar 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jack  wrote

… Pressing 'Tab' simply edits text in the existing text box. IOW, the 'Tab' cannot help me here. …

Hi jwc,

are you editing text in the Story Editing window?

Then press cmd + y on Mac OSX, that brings you back to Layout mode.
Pressing esc will select the text frame.

If you are already in Layout mode—you can see all the formatting of text—press esc only to select the text frame.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Mar 20, 2017 Mar 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank.

Resolved by stopping and restarting inDesign. That seemed to have cleared whatever strange, error-state had been created earlier, when I first found the tool-bar missing.

Best,

jwc

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 14, 2021 Apr 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you this TAB button was a poof thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2017 Nov 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Help! the same thing happened to me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2015 Apr 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lost the main toolbar on CS6 by accidentally hitting some shortcut on the keyboard... None of the above worked for me... 

Finally figured it out after playing around for a bit........ Window > workspaces > Essentials > Restore Essentials

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2015 Nov 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you!  This solved the problem for me!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2016 Jan 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Life Saver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2016 Apr 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I just had exactly the same issue !!! Many, many thanks for a simple answer! It works !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 04, 2016 Oct 04, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaak! This solved my problem! I've been up and about the menu already. Whew! Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 30, 2017 May 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OMG! you saved my life...

thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LIFE SAVING!! THIS IS THEEEE BEST!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines