Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help please InDesign final exam coming next week

Community Beginner ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 
I am learning Adobe InDD this term and everything was working okay. I got a brand new 6-core Macbook pro and it worked ok initially. Now, I am doing a final term project, a 12-page cookbook design, and for some reason - when I go from page to page, it keeps loading... loading (the rainbow color wheel pops up all the time) I mean before it was instant - now going from page to page (whether using the side slider or the hand icon...), resizing text frames or shapes, moving image around... clicking into anything to work... it is not instant, the 'loading...' wheel keeps popping up 😞 

So, I uninstalled and reinstalled - and it is the latest anyway - update. This is only 12 pages design! Can someone please advise what's going on? I have my next week layout exam and I have to complete it within time. Thanks so much if ADOBE or someone knowledgable can please help. 

Cedar 

TOPICS
How to , InCopy workflow , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

How much RAM and spare disk capacity do you have?

Have you tried resetting the InDesign preferences?

Save the document as an IDML version rename and reopen it as a new InDesign document to remove possible corruption.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As Derek suggests.

Using a keyboard shortcut:
  1. (Windows) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Ctrl+Alt. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files. ...
  2. (Mac OS) Start InDesign, and then immediately press Shift+Option+Command+Control. Click Yes when asked if you want to delete preference files.

File > Save a Copy > Select IDML (InDesign Markup) > Save

If they don't work

https://helpx.adobe.com/ie/creative-cloud/kb/cc-cleaner-tool-installation-problems.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Derek, 
This is a brand new 6-core Macbook pro. I only started school in September so there's nothing huge in the memory. I think Adobe InDD is disappointedly buggy. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it 4 times now.... it works then for a few weeks and then it goes darn slow on every click - I am just clicking on the layout page, the rainbow wheel loading icon would pop up and turn and turn.... 😞 The Preference - Display performance has already been set to 'Typical , not High Quality. 

Cedar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you follow Derek and Eugene advises about resetting preferences? Uninstallation and reinstallation (even 100 times) is useless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Nothing huge in the memory"... did you actually check this? How much is free, how much is used?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not being funny or anything, but a lot of MacBooks are underpowered shiny expensive machines.

And they dont always work. The chances it is your computer not the Adobe software. If it was the Software the forum would be flooded.

Sometimes installations are buggy, whether it was tbe OS or the software, someyimes it doesnt go right.

Thats why Adobe created the CC Cleaner Tool.

Please try the Reset Preferences and if not working try the Cleaner Tool.

Apple products can be good. But not a holy grail, and things do go wrong with them all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you linking all or your assets (not pasting or embedding images)? Also, make sure you have preflight turned off.

Can you package and share the InDesign document, either via your CC account or another file sharing service like Dropbox?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Zedar2000  wrote:

… it works then for a few weeks and then it goes darn slow on every click …

How do you save? An InDesign file grows more and more the more you save "normally".

Use "Save as" from time to time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines