• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help! Why does InDesign not do what it's told

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I drew up this page (pic 1) in InDesign 2021 on a Mac running Mac OS OS 15.7.  

Exported it to HTML

Opened it on Safari browser and the image and the text had changed places. (pic 2)

I didn't ask it to do that.

What is the problem, please?

TOPICS
Bug

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

InDesign is not a WYSIWYG website layout/editor - it's a page layout programme for print.

The HTML export is rudimentary - you still need to get that into a web page layout either using coding or a Web Layout programme. 

Some good options here https://creativepro.com/exporting-from-indesign-to-html5-amazing-free-script/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign is not a WYSIWYG website layout/editor - it's a page layout programme for print.

The HTML export is rudimentary - you still need to get that into a web page layout either using coding or a Web Layout programme. 

Some good options here https://creativepro.com/exporting-from-indesign-to-html5-amazing-free-script/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want pixel perfect HTML out of InDesign you'll need in5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously at $80 per month for a subscription, I had better be producing a heck of a lot of HTML using inDesign. While people keep referring to this amazing and free plugin, it appears that they caught the greed bug and now they are charging for it.

And by charging, I mean they are not just charging a one time fee to ise their script, they are charging $30/month for their cheapest tier (if you pay annaually). and $50 for their recommended subscription fee. That's per month, mind you. And in fact, that's more than I pay for the entire Adobe Creative Suite. 

While I am sure this has been a good answer in the past, I was hoping someone would revisit it since this is simply intennable for most small InDesign users who would like to generate some HTML from InDesign. Either that or Adobe should top advertising a service they only marginally provide. 

Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It was never free and the amount of work that's gone into it is obviously something you can't understand. Like anything else, if you don't see the value then keep on slugging through without it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign users who would like to generate some HTML from InDesign. 

Any other suggestions?

By @Jason Burnett

Yes, I have one.

Don't use InDesign or any plug-in to export HTML from an INDD layout file.  Or from any other desktop publishing/page-based layout program, either.

If you want a glass of lemonade, don't grab an orange and squeeze it: that produces orange juice, not lemon juice. If you need to move cross-country, don't expect a Honda Fit to hold your precious possessions. You might need an 18-wheeler moving van.

Use the right, most appropriate tool to get the results you want.

Take a short course in HTML/CSS and learn how to code HTML correctly — better than the crap code you'll get from any page layout program like InDesign.

In the US, local community colleges are great for this type of training, either as a full semester-long course or a short 2-3 day intensive (in the Continuing Education department). So many designers have learned HTML basics and now have more job opportunities and business.

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's just crazy talk, Bevi. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You know how crazy I can be!

|    Bevi Chagnon   |  Designer & Technologist for Accessible Documents
|    Classes & Books for Accessible InDesign, PDFs & MS Office |

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines