• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with an InDesign file that will not open

Community Beginner ,
Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello - I created a project in InDesign and after editing for a few days, today it did not allow me to open it. It states: "Cannot open the file "...".  Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application."  It is not open in another application and I was just editing 15 hours ago.  Not sure what changed overnight, but any suggestions on potential plug-ins or intalling support software??  Thank you!

TOPICS
How to , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 26, 2020 Aug 26, 2020

There is a script that will attempt to blind-open the file and export it as idml.  

This is a older script, so I don't know if it works with the newest versions of InDesign, or if an updated version exists.

https://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/foren/gforum.cgi?do=post_editlog;post=475991;

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of InDesign and OS?

Presumably you didn't make a back-up copy of the file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Derek - InDesign 2020 (just installed last week).  OS is Catalina v.10.15.3

Only back up is a PDF,  so not helpful for editing.  The ID file was saved only to replace the former file, so no additional copy that I can find.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Was there a crash while the file was open?

Close InDesign and check the folder where the file is stored for a file with the extension .idlk. If there is one there, delete it, then relaunch InDesign and attempt to open your file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll try that ... also, no crash. A mystery to me! I'm updating my OS as well so let's see what happens in a few minutes.... fingers crossed!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I don't know how it opened, but I found the original file (still .indd extension) in documents, and opened it from there. That miraculously did the trick!  Not sure why I could not open from InDesign directly, but just grateful I recovered it!  Thank you all for your responses and ideas!  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is a script that will attempt to blind-open the file and export it as idml.  

This is a older script, so I don't know if it works with the newest versions of InDesign, or if an updated version exists.

https://www.hilfdirselbst.ch/foren/gforum.cgi?do=post_editlog;post=475991;

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines