• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help with opening a indd file, asks for plugin

New Here ,
Mar 27, 2021 Mar 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created a file last year in september and now I can't open my own file?

It's a regular indd-file, but I get this message:

"Cannot open the file. Adobe InDesign may not support the file format, aplug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be open in another application"?

Don't know what to do, all my work is on it and I've read some threads here on this forum but none have worked so far.
Tried, resaving it on another computer, sending it to myself, zipping and then re-opening it, with no other result.

I have both the 2020 and 2021 indesign versions on my Mac Powerbook.

TOPICS
Bug , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you resave it on another computer if you can't open it?

If you can open it and only get a missing plugin error - then use File>Export and choose IDML.

Open the IDML file in InDesign.

There's some info here

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/kb/troubleshoot-file-issues.html

There's an email link in the last paragraph

We're here to help!

If no resolution works, share the affected file with us at idfile@adobe.com. We'll investigate the issue and let you know if the recovery is possible. 

When you share your file(s) with us, you not only enable the Adobe team to find a solution to your problem, but also help us improve the overall user experience by identifying and resolving other similar issues.

We assure that your file will strictly remain confidential and will be used only for investigation purposes. Ensure that the file you share does not include any sensitive personal information.

We'll try our best to assist you, but as recovery depends on various factors, we cannot promise a permanent solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I saved it to my computer and then I moved it to an external drive. I have since then deleted a lot of my files from my computer, due to space issues. And now I wanted to work on the document and can't open it?
I will look in to all of your recommendations.

Thank you for your quick response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried copying it back to your computer - or are you opening it from the external file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried, but same result.

Skärmavbild 2021-03-27 kl. 09.25.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have also sent the file to the email adress you recommended this morning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ir doesn't seem like anybody here has addressed the part of your error message dealing with a missing plug-in. If the error message is referring to a third party plug-in then it should be pointed out that any third party plug-ins that you may have installed must always be updated when you switch to a new version of InDesign. Not updating the plug-in will certainly get you the kind of error message that you're getting. You said that you have both CC 2020 and CC 2021 but you didn't say if you'd tried opening the file with the older version which may have the correct version of the plug-in. Double-clicking on an InDesign file from the desktop will always open the file in the later version. In order to open in an earlier version you will need to either go through File>Open when the older version is active or drag the file on top of the older version's icon in the dock of your Mac. To update third-party plug-ins you will need to go to the website of the plug-in's developer and get the update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 28, 2021 Mar 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bill,

I have no recollection of ever adding or downloading any plug-in is there a way for me to check if I have any plug-in?

thanks,

andrew

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing with plugins is that once it's installed on a computer that used the plgin and associated with the file is that it will look for that plugin regardless. You need to have the file exported as IDML and open it to clear the plugin information. You could try this http://kasyan.ho.ua/indesign/all/blind_open_and_idml-export.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried opening the file, by starting Indesign 2020 and opening it but I get same result as when I double cklick the file an dthe same with 2021 version.

There are NO plug-ins on neither version?

Both plug-in folders are empty.

Skärmavbild 2021-03-28 kl. 18.10.19.pngSkärmavbild 2021-03-28 kl. 18.12.13.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Downloaded it but since I'm on a mac it started Adobe After Effects with that file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In your opening question you said that you tried saving it on another computer. Does that mean that you were able to actually open it on that computer? Eugene Tyson also asked you this but your reply to him did not sound like you were answering that specific question. If you can open it there or anywhere else then try exporting it as an IDML. That process can clear up some corruption in the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines