• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

help with sizing artwork for print, set crop marks

Community Beginner ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am new to InDesign and working with an existing file. I want to size it for printing and add crop marks. 

The page size is 610x915mm (24x36 inches), the print area is 510x355mm (20x14 inches), 

How can I resize this so that the artwork is 390x270 mm and the crop marks are set at 400x280 mm ?

So the cut size is 400x280 with a 5mm margin?

Thank you, 

Dean

TOPICS
How to , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advocate , Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

I'm having a strange problem with your file, which is forcing me to change my normal workflow. Normally I would group your artwork and select Edit > Cut. But when I do this with your file I get a PDF error, which states that InDesign failed to export the PDF file. As a workaround, choose File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print). Create a PDF and save it somewhere. Next, create a new document that's 400mm x 280mm. Set your margins to 5mm. On the page, create a graphic frame that's 390mm x 270mm to allow

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You start off with the TPS (Trimmed Page Size) of your InDesign document, to this you add the bleed, normally 3mm, but some printers want more. You export the InDesign document as a PDF (get the spec from your printer, but normally PDF/X-4) in the PDF dialogue you can indicate Use Document Bleed Setting and add Crop Marks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a strange problem with your file, which is forcing me to change my normal workflow. Normally I would group your artwork and select Edit > Cut. But when I do this with your file I get a PDF error, which states that InDesign failed to export the PDF file. As a workaround, choose File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print). Create a PDF and save it somewhere. Next, create a new document that's 400mm x 280mm. Set your margins to 5mm. On the page, create a graphic frame that's 390mm x 270mm to allow for 5mm margins on all four sides. With frame selected, choose File > Place. Select the PDF you made and click to place it in the empty frame. Double click on the Content Grabber (circles in the middle of the image) to select the content (not its frame) and size and position the artwork as you wish. Save your file and choose File > Package to create a package with the original InDesign file, a PDF, and an .idml version as well. All fonts will also be part of the package. 

I've done all this for you so you can see what I'm talking about. Here's a download link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/or4qwmg7o3wapu6/mat_fullsize_ukrainian_2020_sc%20Folder.zip?dl=0

Good luck. I hope this is clear.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you very much for doing that - very generous. I followed your directions and was able to replicate what you did. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Dean,

If I understand your  problem correctly, the solution is quite simple.

Go to: File>Document Setup

from here adjust your page size to the desired FINAL dimensions (390x270) and add a bleed (5mm). Hit Preview to see if this is to your liking and adjust as needed. Lastly, hit OK and your paeg should be set to the right size.

Adjust your artwork in the page to fit to the page border and then - when happy with the artwork - export it.
When exporting, be sure to go to 'Marks and Bleeds' and tick 'Crop Marks' and 'Bleed Marks' and then tick 'Use Document Bleed Settings'

I hope this helps you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but I don't want to resize the whole page. I need to isolate the artwork and resize that. I appreciate your help, but I'm still confused. I'm looking into an InDesign tutor. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines