Highlighted

Help with typeface diacritic glyph remap

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings I need help modifying a typeface.

My native language uses diacritics and one such letter with a diacritic, from the typeface I use most often, appears as a missing character when typed in inDesign. The correct glyph exists in the typeface pack, but it is not properly mapped. Thus, every time I import text and set it to this typeface, I have to perform a find/replace in order to insert the correct glyph in place of the missing character symbol.

Could anyone instruct me how to modify the typeface, to map the correct glyph to that particular letter in our alphabet? Does this require specialized software? I work on a Mac.

Hopefully my question is clear. Thanks for the help!

Topics

Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Help with typeface diacritic glyph remap

New Here ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings I need help modifying a typeface.

My native language uses diacritics and one such letter with a diacritic, from the typeface I use most often, appears as a missing character when typed in inDesign. The correct glyph exists in the typeface pack, but it is not properly mapped. Thus, every time I import text and set it to this typeface, I have to perform a find/replace in order to insert the correct glyph in place of the missing character symbol.

Could anyone instruct me how to modify the typeface, to map the correct glyph to that particular letter in our alphabet? Does this require specialized software? I work on a Mac.

Hopefully my question is clear. Thanks for the help!

Topics

Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Editing a font cannot be done in InDesign. It does require specialized font editing software.  While I've never needed to use it, tools from FontLab have a good reputation:

https://www.fontlab.com/font-editor/typetool/

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for the tip Steve. I have downloaded fontlab and just by searching around a bit, I think I can better express what I need to do.

When I am working in inDesign with the aforementioned font activated, the keyboard key for the "t with cedilla" glyph creates the letter with unicode 0x21A. However, the key should produce the letter with unicode 0x162. 

Once I open the font in fontlab, could anyone explain the procedure for remapping the keyboard key to trigger the 0x162 glyph, rather than the 0x21A? 

Thank you for any imput. 

All the best, 

alex

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We don't usually handle FontLab product questions here. I'd suggest using the documenation that comes with the software or here's a link to the FontLab Forum where you can ask questions:

https://forum.fontlab.com

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Most Valuable Participant ,
Aug 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You get the T comma but your national preferences are for T cedilla? Did you check if this can be done automatically by applying the right language to your text?

It may not really be an 'error' in the font mapping: it is possible both characters appear as separate glyphs, but one of them is selected as the default for 'all' languages and the other can be swapped in automatically through an OpenType feature that checks the currently applied language.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines