• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

hidden character - blue pound symbol

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2010 Nov 05, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, preflight... Why am I seeing a little blue pound symbol in the upper left hand corner of a few pages (hidden characters revealed)..

And this TOC is unreal, now an overset textframe.. Why would the litte red box be 2 pages down from the end of the TOC and not the same or next immediate page?

If I can get past this I might be close.

Something else, what is the little blue thing in the middle of the period Leaders, for every TOC line, offest from one another each line..

Thx

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 06, 2010 Nov 06, 2010

The # indicates the end of a story. It will appear in the upper left of every text frame until you add text, at which point it will appear at the end of any text, includeing text threaded to another frame. Most common reason for seeing it in an unexpected place is ID defaults to converting any empty shape or frame to a text frame if you click in it with the text tool. You can select the frame and reset the content to unassigned. It would also show an any blank page with a master text frame.

Your

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 06, 2010 Nov 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are many white space and break possibilities all with their own invisibles. Here is a sc with some common symbols: space, en space, em space, non break space, tab, indent to here, right indent tab, end story:

http://www.zenodesign.com/scripts/invisible.png

Turn your invisibles on and choose the available spaces and tabs from Type>Insert Special Characters>Others or Insert White Space.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The # indicates the end of a story. It will appear in the upper left of every text frame until you add text, at which point it will appear at the end of any text, includeing text threaded to another frame. Most common reason for seeing it in an unexpected place is ID defaults to converting any empty shape or frame to a text frame if you click in it with the text tool. You can select the frame and reset the content to unassigned. It would also show an any blank page with a master text frame.

Your other blue mark is the Tab. I think there's probably a chart of non-printing characters in the help, but you should also find one over at InDesignSecrets.com.

Overset indicators appear in the last frame in a thread when there is more text. Open the story editor and see what's overset, and what is in front of it that might be causing empty intervening pages, though I suspect there really aren't and you've just shuffled pages so that the thread is jumping two pages. Turn on text thread visibility to see what is linked to what.

And buy the book.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

P Spier wrote:

And buy the book.

Indeed...I'd buy two of them based on what I'm seeing here...Sandee's of course: http://amzn.to/cABPCN

and Real World ID: http://amzn.to/baVnSL

Another good investment is a month to month subscription of Lynda.com. For $25 you get "all you can eat" training.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2016 Sep 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue. 

I think the simpler answer is just to turn off show hidden characters.    [option] + [command] +

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bohdan Chreptak wrote:

I had the same issue.

I think the simpler answer is just to turn off show hidden characters. [option] + [command] +

Kind of like fixing the check engine light by putting black tape over it?

As Peter wrote: Most common reason for seeing it in an unexpected place is ID defaults to converting any empty shape or frame to a text frame if you click in it with the text tool.

This used to drive me crazy. The first thing I do with a new version of InDesign is go into the preferences and turn that off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread is six years old!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Whoops -- so it is.

I forgot to look at the original post date when I saw a reply on it from today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 15, 2024 Apr 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

And now after another 8 years, the problem persists. 

Can't figure out what to turn off in preferences:

As Peter wrote: Most common reason for seeing it in an unexpected place is ID defaults to converting any empty shape or frame to a text frame if you click in it with the text tool.

This used to drive me crazy. The first thing I do with a new version of InDesign is go into the preferences and turn that off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 04, 2018 Apr 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Compact and useful info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[option] + [command] + I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 04, 2022 Jun 04, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, brother 🥰

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ctrl+alt+I 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines