• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

hidden characters, Quark & InDesign

Explorer ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With InDesign I opened an old Quark document. Arrows on the screenshot point to some symbols that are part of the original text, but can I be certain InDesign ackowledges them the same way? I tried to find a list in InDesign's User Guide but did not. What is the symbol that is a colon after "king"? And the "hyphen" before "Emmanuel"?

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Hi @Parny:

The first one is a discretionary hyphen (used in front of word it tells InDesign not to hyphenate that occurence of that word).

The second character is an en space, which appears to be used to line up the numbers. If you are using autonumbers, InDesign can do that for you—you don't need to handle it manually. But perhaps those are non-sequential numbers.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Parny:

The first one is a discretionary hyphen (used in front of word it tells InDesign not to hyphenate that occurence of that word).

The second character is an en space, which appears to be used to line up the numbers. If you are using autonumbers, InDesign can do that for you—you don't need to handle it manually. But perhaps those are non-sequential numbers.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, thanks! And about the light-blue colon character: One online list I found indicates a cross-reference or hyperlink, but those windows don't show any listed in InDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi @Parny:

The colon is the anchor for a hyperlink destination. You can create an internal link to that named destination, but it sounds like the link to the anchor is isn't in the file so you can safely remove it. To double check, look in the Hyperlinks panel.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines