Exit

Hide part of the text include in the TOC

Explorer ,
Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I hope some one help me.

I have to create a TOC. For that reason i define Heading 1 and Heading 2 styles.

After i build and make the file i generate the TOC and everything look nice.

After that my client ask me to make the TOC heading text shorter in the TOC only.

For example my Heading 1 tittle have the name:

Deluxe Pure Pflege & Styling mit Zaubernuss & Bernstein

and the client want me to make only the text:

Deluxe Pure Pflege & Styling

to appear in the TOC.

Can you tell me how i can make this and the TOC to be active and every time the client update the toc this chapter to appear automatic in his short version.

Thank you

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 13, 2021 Feb 13, 2021

Can you put a line break between the type you want in the Table of Contents and the type you don't?

Like:

Deluxe Pure Pflege & Styling (Line Break)

mit Zaubernuss & Bernstein

If you can, this'll be easy. You just create two paragraph styles — one you use for generating your ToC. and one with complementary styling to the first and named No ToC which you won't include in generating your ToC. I say complementary, because depending on things like spacing before/after a paragraph and line keep/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you put a line break between the type you want in the Table of Contents and the type you don't?

Like:

Deluxe Pure Pflege & Styling (Line Break)

mit Zaubernuss & Bernstein

If you can, this'll be easy. You just create two paragraph styles — one you use for generating your ToC. and one with complementary styling to the first and named No ToC which you won't include in generating your ToC. I say complementary, because depending on things like spacing before/after a paragraph and line keep/break rules, you may need to do some finagling with the No ToC style to pull off a flawless forgery.

If you can't, it'll be significantly harder. Perhaps one of our GREP formatting experts or one of the scripters around here can suggest a fix.

Either way, I'm hopeful that you get a good plan for getting past your issues.

Hope this helps,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

One way to do this is you could add the text the client wants to each page (the shorter text), but move the text frame so the frame is touching the edge of the page, but the text is not visible. Give that a style, and collect that text for your TOC. This is explained in more detail in this post, which includes screen shots, etc: https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/table-of-content-links-not-working-when-published-online-ind...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines