• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

hiding the bounding box in InDesign

New Here ,
Sep 23, 2008 Sep 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using InDesign for years and I remember tearing my hair out a while ago trying to find out how to make the annoying bounding box disappear that shows up around every object. They have shown up again. Can someone please remind me how to get rid of the bloody things!
TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 23, 2008 Sep 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hide frame edges? Under the view menu?

You can also use the 'w' key to toggle in and out of Preview mode (grays out the pasteboard, hides all guides/frame edges etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 22, 2014 Mar 22, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also looking for this. I want to keep the frame edges and when the objects are slected, I don't want to see the bounding box.

Even when hiding frame edges, once selecting them, you can see the bounding box, same goes to preview mode...

shlomit

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What distinction are you making between the frame edges and the bounding box? I know that InDesign has something called frame edges that could  just as easily have been called a bounding box, but I don't know of something specifically called "bounding boxes" in InDesign. If there is, please inform me.

If you do mean frame edges, I'm not sure if there is a solution. Since the frame edges use a color to distinguish between different layers, you could set the layer color to the color of your background, but that will only help on one-color backgrounds, and you will still see the frame handles. The frame edges are very useful for me and many other users. I wonder what makes them so objectionable to you?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Schlomit,

This is a very old thread. What version of ID are you using? As I recall, showing frame edges on rollover in preview mode became a preference option in CS5.5 or CS6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2014 Nov 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok This has to be the most annoying thing ever, all the options in InDesign CC 2014 won't hide the stupid bounding box when I select any object. Can someone please help me understand this and find a fix for me please.

indesign-bounding-box-issue.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can’t hid the bounding box of a selected object.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply Bob. I hope they update this with an option in the next release. I will put this in their feature request.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So without a bounding box showing, how would you know what was selected, or if there was a selection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2014 Dec 02, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to second that this should be a feature.

Here is the use case: I want to style parts of an object -- maybe I need a single override of an object style, say the stroke or a drop shadow -- something around the edge.  Right now, because the frame edges are always on with the selected object I have to make the change and then deselect it to review it.  This means that I have to de- and reselect the object multiple times.

This is not an efficient use of my time.

Illustrator allows the edges of selected objects to be toggled on and off with command-h.  If you want to see how you can can still know what is selected -- play with it there. But basically if you hover over the selected object it shows you the edges. Otherwise they are off.  It works really nicely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried opening a second window for the document to show you a real-time preview of the changes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that...

I just tried it -- not bad.    And it lets you run one screen high quality/preview and the working copy in low quality/normal mode.

Although having the toggle would still be nice when working on my laptop.

I wish Adobe would standardize some of these things between apps. I haven't used Indesign in 6 months, until today -- and I spent the first couple of hours readjusting.

But  . . . that's another discussion entirely.  And I know people have been asking for it in various ways for decades.

Many thanks once again, and bye for now.

Ann

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2015 Sep 13, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Of COURSE this should be a feature. I use it all the time in AI. When something is selected and you want to edit WITHOUT the interference of the selection marquee it's great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should add that you can go into presentation mode, but that’s about it, AFAIK.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 04, 2015 Aug 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

E, the gif is so helpful! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 16, 2016 Mar 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

View > Extras > Show/Hide Frame Edges

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 14, 2016 Apr 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally, a simple answer! Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My work around is opening a second window and highlight what you want to move in the small window.

use the arrow to move around the box

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2020 Mar 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post is quite old now, but incase anyone is still looking for this answer:
View > Extras > Show or Hide Frame Edges. 

I often accidentally press shortcut "ctrl h" and can't remember how to show frame edges again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 09, 2020 Apr 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, just to avoid any disappointment or confusion - this isn't what the original poster was asking for. This is still an inconsistency between Adobe products and something you can do in Illustrator but not in inDesign.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is NOT what this is about. It's about the frame edges and nothing more. This topic has been answered and I'm going to lock it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEY, ALL. IT'S REALLY EASY.

Simply change the stroke weight of the bounding box from 1 to 0

e.g.:

under "windows", check "properties"

click on the frame you want to be invisible

the properties bar will show the option to change the stroke

change the stroke weight to 0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HEY, ALL. IT'S REALLY EASY.

Simply change the stroke weight of the bounding box from 1 to 0

e.g.:

under "windows", check "properties"

click on the frame you want to be invisible

the properties bar will show the option to change the stroke

change the stroke weight to 0

latest indesign version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines