Highlighted

Hitting Enter at the end of a sentence deletes all the text after the cursor

New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just beginning with InDesign, so I apologise if this question is elementary. It was just a simple task: create a new  paragraph in an existing paragraph of text. So I hit enter at the end of the sentence where I wanted the break. Immediately, everything after that disappeared, including the following paragraph. I checked that there was plenty of room in the text box and everything else I could think of, but nothing allowed me to break that paragraph whilst retaining the text. When I went to Edit to undo the move, the message was, Undo Column Break. I didn't think I had columns; I thought it was just a 'simple' text box (I had used Calamus years ago). I tried searching for solutions, to no avail, so far. So, I hope someone can assist me here. 

As a postscript, every text box I create for some reason has 90-point text with 72-point line spacing and white text. I did check that my above text box didn't have those attributes after the text, but I haven't yet found the solution to that either. Thanks, David.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by jmlevy | Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

To create a new paragraph, you must use the return key, not the enter key. Enter key is used to jump to the following column, or the following threaded text frame if there is only one column in the frame.

every text box I create for some reason has 90-point text with 72-point line spacing and white text

without any text frame selected, check the text attributes, or maybe you have any paragraph or character styles ?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Hitting Enter at the end of a sentence deletes all the text after the cursor

New Here ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just beginning with InDesign, so I apologise if this question is elementary. It was just a simple task: create a new  paragraph in an existing paragraph of text. So I hit enter at the end of the sentence where I wanted the break. Immediately, everything after that disappeared, including the following paragraph. I checked that there was plenty of room in the text box and everything else I could think of, but nothing allowed me to break that paragraph whilst retaining the text. When I went to Edit to undo the move, the message was, Undo Column Break. I didn't think I had columns; I thought it was just a 'simple' text box (I had used Calamus years ago). I tried searching for solutions, to no avail, so far. So, I hope someone can assist me here. 

As a postscript, every text box I create for some reason has 90-point text with 72-point line spacing and white text. I did check that my above text box didn't have those attributes after the text, but I haven't yet found the solution to that either. Thanks, David.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by jmlevy | Adobe Community Professional

Hi,

To create a new paragraph, you must use the return key, not the enter key. Enter key is used to jump to the following column, or the following threaded text frame if there is only one column in the frame.

every text box I create for some reason has 90-point text with 72-point line spacing and white text

without any text frame selected, check the text attributes, or maybe you have any paragraph or character styles ?

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
May 26, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
May 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 26, 2020 0
DavidH2 LATEST
New Here ,
May 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, jmlevy. Thanks for that. It worked of course. I did actually try Ctrl+Enter but didn't try shift. I haven't tried your other suggestion yet, but will. David

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 27, 2020 0