Highlighted

Holding key for accent won't work in InDesign (Mac)

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac, if you hold down a letter a contextual menu appears above it with the various accent glyphs:

p4sqmcov33451.png

It's very handy when you work in languages that require them. Unfortunately, it seem to work everywhere except in Adobe software. If you hold down "a", you get aaaaaaaaaaa instead of that menu. I know about keyboard mapping, the glyph panel and Option-shortcuts --- what I'm trying to find out is if there's a way to activate that pop-up menu. It's really, really handy.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Eric Dumas | Adobe Community Professional

I hold the Option key to get the 'accent' I need. But that does not cover all the characters, so I bought a French Keyboard.

It took some time to get used to it, especially swapping between QWERTY and AZERTY , then I got frustrated and I let the spell check do its job, that seemed the quickest.

The virtual keyboard, kept on the side is handy one as well.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

Holding key for accent won't work in InDesign (Mac)

New Here ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On a Mac, if you hold down a letter a contextual menu appears above it with the various accent glyphs:

p4sqmcov33451.png

It's very handy when you work in languages that require them. Unfortunately, it seem to work everywhere except in Adobe software. If you hold down "a", you get aaaaaaaaaaa instead of that menu. I know about keyboard mapping, the glyph panel and Option-shortcuts --- what I'm trying to find out is if there's a way to activate that pop-up menu. It's really, really handy.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Eric Dumas | Adobe Community Professional

I hold the Option key to get the 'accent' I need. But that does not cover all the characters, so I bought a French Keyboard.

It took some time to get used to it, especially swapping between QWERTY and AZERTY , then I got frustrated and I let the spell check do its job, that seemed the quickest.

TOPICS
Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 11, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 11, 2020 1
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, 

I hope your issue has been resolved till now. If not, please let us know so that we can assist you further. 

Else please confirm if any of the suggestions above helped. 

Regards,

Sheena

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 20, 2020 0