Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Horizontal align of the first column of a table

Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2020 Sep 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello everyone,

I don't know if the feature doesn't exists or if I can't find it but…

I work with a lot a tables with numbers date, it's almost always the same pattern:

— First column: text introduction, example: "Group revenue;

— and the 3 columns with numbers.

|                                                 |    2020    |    2019    |    2018   |

| Group revenue                        |    1,230   |    2,811   |    3,331  |

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

in this example, my paragraph style is configured to be right aligned, it means on the first column I have to force the left alignement. And each time I change the paragraph style (for example to have the line in bold, it changes my first column horizontal alignement :

|                                                 |    2020    |    2019    |    2018   |

|                   Group revenue    |    1,230   |    2,811   |    3,331  |

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

is there a way to fix that without create any script, just with indesign features?

All the best,

Nicolas

TOPICS
Feature request , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Hello,

thanks to both of you for your answers.

Unfortunately, for technical reasons, I can't create a new paragraph style, I need that the paragraphs style of every cells of the row are the same. About Dan Rodney advice, it would have been almost the right solution, but I have two main problems :

– sometimes I have bullet point paragraphs in table, so the character style would not be enough;

– I have often words in a specific character style (words in italic between "(word)"), so it would override

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Set a cell style that includes a paragraph style with left aligned text

Have a look at the InDesign help:

https://helpx.adobe.com/indesign/using/table-cell-styles.html

or just google “InDesign cell styles” or “inDesign table celles”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could do either of the following:

• apply the bold as an override (don't use a Paragraph style)
  • make a Character style to apply the bold instead of a Paragraph style

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 05, 2020 Sep 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

thanks to both of you for your answers.

Unfortunately, for technical reasons, I can't create a new paragraph style, I need that the paragraphs style of every cells of the row are the same. About Dan Rodney advice, it would have been almost the right solution, but I have two main problems :

– sometimes I have bullet point paragraphs in table, so the character style would not be enough;

– I have often words in a specific character style (words in italic between "(word)"), so it would override existing character styles.

That would be awesome to configure multiple character styles like in CSS for websites with classes.

I suppose it isn't possible for now to configure some paragraph attributes in cell style, hope it will be done in future versions of indesign. For now, I'll create a script that make me choose the cell style I want with the specific paragraph style and reapply on the first column a left alignment.

Thanks again for your replies,

Have a nice week-end,

Nicolas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines