Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How an eBook designed for one kind of mobile device is shown in others

Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, everyone!

I would like to know how an ebook (epub fixed layout) designed using an ipad page size, for instance, is shown in other devices with a bigger page size, like an ipad pro or retina, as well in other devices with a smaller page size. 

Thank you all!

Best regards,

Edson

TOPICS
EPUB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Fixed layout ePubs should be scaled up or down to fit the screen size of the phone/tablet you're viewing it on (or the window on a Mac or PC). If the ePub do not match the aspect ratio of the device, there will be unused parts of the screen. When deciding a page size, go with an aspect ratio that works well across a wide range of devices or best fits the device you think the majority of readers will use. You should also consider the content of the book, which may lend itself better to certain as

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

In addition to Dan's comments you should note that Fixed Layout EPUB is NOT responsive. If you're expecting them to be, you're going to be disappointed. Additionally, beyond the Books app on Mac and iOS/iPad the reader apps for these documents is pretty bad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,
Apr 28, 2021 Apr 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually, I would like to know what the best page size to create an eBook, since there are many different mobile devices with different screen sizes. This way, what is the best page size for creating an eBook that fits better in all kinds of mobile devices?

Thank you!

Edson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 29, 2021 Apr 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fixed layout ePubs should be scaled up or down to fit the screen size of the phone/tablet you're viewing it on (or the window on a Mac or PC). If the ePub do not match the aspect ratio of the device, there will be unused parts of the screen. When deciding a page size, go with an aspect ratio that works well across a wide range of devices or best fits the device you think the majority of readers will use. You should also consider the content of the book, which may lend itself better to certain aspect ratios. I know that does not give you a specific size, because I think it depends on the project, but I hope it helps.

— Adobe Certified Expert & Instructor at Noble Desktop | Web Developer, Designer, InDesign Scriptor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Dan!

I will keep your advice in mind, and I will do a research to do decide which size is better for my project or even if it is better to write my first eBook using a reflowable format.

Once I intend to use some photos, graphics, and tables in my project, I think the fixed layout is better than the reflowable one, but we have some advantages and disadvantages when using one or other format! I will have to think about this very carefully!

Thank you for your answer, it helped me a lot!

Best regards!

Edson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In addition to Dan's comments you should note that Fixed Layout EPUB is NOT responsive. If you're expecting them to be, you're going to be disappointed. Additionally, beyond the Books app on Mac and iOS/iPad the reader apps for these documents is pretty bad. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, Bob!

You and Dan helped me a lot! I am starting to learn how to work with InDesing CC, since I want to write an eBook, and I have been thinking about what kind of page size and format (fixed or reflowable) are the better ones.

Based on yours and Dan’s advice, I will spend a little more time thinking about what page size and format I should choose, since I want to use some photos, graphics, and tables! I believe that is an important decision for anyone who wants to write an eBook, mainly for a beginner like me!

Thank you very much!

Best regards!

Edson

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines