How can I connect personalized books to data with multiple variables in order to export as PDF.

New Here ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a very large database containing personalized information that is currently connected to Planet Press documents that contain multiple conditions. We are wanting to integrate all this from Planet Press to InDesign. I do not know anything about that in InDesign as I have never needed to use scripts or conditional text until now.

Can anyone direct me to some tutorials?

And/Or has anyone ever used Planet Press that may be able to help me with this integration?

Greatly appreciate any guidance with this!!!

TOPICS
EPUB, How to, Scripting

Views

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Leah,

InDesigns data merge feature could be what you're looking for, take a look at the link below for quick tutorial\overview.

https://redokun.com/blog/data-merge-indesign

Regards,

Mike

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign has three ways to integrate data from a database.

Data Merge - easiest, and is its equivalent to Microsoft's Mail Merge and it is good for direct mail type of merges, but it can't do next records in the same text frame (i.e. for catalogues or directories) but there are workarounds that can assist.

Third party plug-ins - several third party providers (https://helpx.adobe.com/au/indesign/plug-ins.html) provide paid catalogue-style plug-ins or more heavy-duty data merging tools that aren't available to the usual install.

XML import - harder, and this has a steep learning curve but ID does have a feature for importing XML.

My usual go-to for data merge tutorials would be the paid ones via LinkedIn Learning, but Youtube also has dozens of videos detailing the data merge process.

translate

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
community guidelines