• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I delete PDF presets?

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2014 Mar 28, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I export to a PDF file I would like only the presets "press quality" and "smallest file size" and whatever custom presets I create.  I deleted the others from application support/settings area but they still show up and are grayed out when I try to select them to delete from within the program.  On top of that, the plugin "xmpie" has also thrown in a couple of presets that I want to delete also.  I did this in CS6 but don't remember how.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

I have managed to do it using Acrobat Distiller.

Delete custom Adobe PDF settings files

1. In Acrobat Distiller, choose Settings > Remove Adobe PDF Settings.
  2. Select the custom file and click Remove.
  3. Repeat step 2 as needed, and then click Cancel to close the Remove Adobe PDF Settings dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Search the hard drive for .joboptions files (different sets may be in different locations) and move the ones you don't currently want to a new, safe, backup location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.  I deleted all the .joboption files and restarted but they're still there.  Is there anything else I can try?

Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 10.57.32 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reboot?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Twice.  They no longer show up in the search but do in the program.Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 11.25.20 AM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be in a hidden folder in your user library...

And it wouldn't hurt to try trashing the prefs. See Replace Your Preferences

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Peter.  I deleted the prefs on startup then rebooted.  No change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, you've got me. I'm a Windows guy, and we have control over our OS and searches, unlike you Mac folk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is why prepress people need lots of beer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're using a recent version of OS X, the Home folder > Library folder is hidden.

You can make it visible by going to the Finder, and choosing Go > Library. It might be there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve.  Your method got rid of the xmpie settings but the others still remain.  The search continues...Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 1.33.36 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are paths for the built-in PDF presets and customized presets from an article I wrote on InDesignSecrets.com in 2007. They might have changed:

Macintosh: Library > Application Support > Adobe > Adobe PDF > Settings

Windows: Documents and Settings > All Users > Application Data > Adobe > Adobe PDF > Settings

But, when you save your own customized PDF presets, they are stored in your local user location:

Macintosh: Users > [yourname] > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Adobe PDF > Settings

Window: Documents and Settings > [yourname] > Application Data > Adobe > Adobe PDF > Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Steve.  I found my settings in the hidden folder where I tossed the xmpie files and I chucked everything the main library.  Could these settings be coming from distiller?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Distiller shares the same location with the other applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@beer and no prepress – it is more than likely that Acrobat Pro will restore all default joboptions files (the ones with names in brackets) automatically. A self-healing feature… 😉

But not the ones you have created…

Cheers!

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Uwe.  Any idea where they would be restored?  They have not shown up in the places that I have deleted them.  As I've said, I got rid of them in CS6 but don't know how.

Screen Shot 2014-03-28 at 2.53.27 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2014 Mar 29, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@beer and no prepress – I never removed my basic joboptions files.

So you could try starting Acrobat Pro or even better Distiller app. Distiller or Acrobat Pro should be able to restore the basic joboptions automatically.

If that will not work, just deinstall and reinstall Acrobat Pro.

Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 14, 2014 Jul 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our ability to delete PDF Export Presets existed in CS6, but has been removed in CC 2014. I recommend avoiding the advised deep searches and deletions of Adobe created files until Adobe can fix this problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 21, 2020 Aug 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Going to the Mac Users > username > Library etc worked for me. I was able to delete unneeded, old presets. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 16, 2015 Oct 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have managed to do it using Acrobat Distiller.

Delete custom Adobe PDF settings files

1. In Acrobat Distiller, choose Settings > Remove Adobe PDF Settings.
  2. Select the custom file and click Remove.
  3. Repeat step 2 as needed, and then click Cancel to close the Remove Adobe PDF Settings dialog box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 08, 2016 Feb 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer is correct. The rest of them are all wrong. This only takes a few seconds and is obviously the correct Answer. (In reference to paulf51133833 Distiller description. Thank you paulf51133833!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In CC 2017, following this path to the job options and manually deleting worked for me:

Macintosh: Users > [yourname] > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Adobe PDF > Settings

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 31, 2019 Mar 31, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete Main Adobe PDF settings files (100% working and EASY)

Go to > 
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Required\PDF\Settings

C:\Program Files(x86)\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2019\Required\PDF\Settings

Make New folder and CUT and the PAST all to that folder.

Enjoy.

Know all the time you will have your custom print preset in PDF save box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 24, 2021 Aug 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using CreativeCloud 2021, was struggling with the same question for my self made presets (MacOs Big Sur)

- Although I have not tried to delete the out of the box presets of adobe.
I found them in the Adobe Indesign Folder > Resources > Adobe PDF > settings > mul > .joboptions files

I mainly use InDesign, maybe if you export to pdf for the first time in Illustrator you might have to search for them there (or just search in finder for .joboptions files)

- Now for me, I was actually searching for my self made ones, because I wanted to rename them (which by some reason is not possible either to rename or delete them). These ones were tricky!

Go into your user folder, show hidden files (cmd+shift+.) Now a bunch of hidden files and folders should appear. Including your hidden library! which is where they are located.
So the complete path is user > Library > Application Support > Adobe > Adobe PDF > settings > .joboption files

I renamed some, deleted some, open export dialogue again, and voilá! everything worked out 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, this worked! I had a few presets I didn't need anymore and couldn't figure out how to delete them.

(Here's another way to find your hidden library – in Finder, select the "Go" tab and hold (cmd + opt) and the hidden Library item will appear in the list.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines