Highlighted

How can I put Change Bar in Indesign?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

When working on technical documents we change/update something on page (a row, figure, text or table) and we want to put a sign (vertical line) next to  that row, column or figure affected from this change. By doing this we want to inform users that there is an update along that vertical line and attract their attention.

Another important thing is that vertical line shall move together with affected row, column etch.

This function works god in Framemaker but unfortunately now I have to do it in Indesign and could'nt achive.

If someone help me about this feature I will be appreciated.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

I rely on the automatic change bars in FrameMaker, and agree that this is a great feature request for InDesign. This is a user-to-user forum – meaning users helping other users with the software – so please post this as a feature request here so that the InDesign engineering team will see it: https://indesign.uservoice.com/

The only idea I have for a workaround in InDesign is to use anchored frames—far from ideal.

~Barb

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How can I put Change Bar in Indesign?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone!

When working on technical documents we change/update something on page (a row, figure, text or table) and we want to put a sign (vertical line) next to  that row, column or figure affected from this change. By doing this we want to inform users that there is an update along that vertical line and attract their attention.

Another important thing is that vertical line shall move together with affected row, column etch.

This function works god in Framemaker but unfortunately now I have to do it in Indesign and could'nt achive.

If someone help me about this feature I will be appreciated.

Adobe Community Professional
Correct answer by Barb Binder | Adobe Community Professional

I rely on the automatic change bars in FrameMaker, and agree that this is a great feature request for InDesign. This is a user-to-user forum – meaning users helping other users with the software – so please post this as a feature request here so that the InDesign engineering team will see it: https://indesign.uservoice.com/

The only idea I have for a workaround in InDesign is to use anchored frames—far from ideal.

~Barb

TOPICS
Feature request, How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 02, 2020 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 1
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb thanks a lot for your quick response by the way I posted my question as feature request to InDesign engineers. As to your advice anchored frames I have no idea I will try. Thanks again

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 02, 2020 0
Community Beginner ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone..

I had a problem about change bar function in InDesign unfortunately it doesn't have that function (may be some of you know that function works good in Framemaker) and I followed Barb's advice (anchored object)now while working in InDesign page if I want to put a change bar left or right of the page by inserting anchored object  I can do it easily as you see below. I am grateful to you Barb.

do  deneme2-1.jpg

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 1
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to help. I mentioned this as a feature request to the InDesign team yesterday, as well.

~Barb

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 04, 2020 0