• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I change a post from solved to not solved?

New Here ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A reply to one of my posts was marked as the correct answer (not by me) but it does not solve my problem. How do I unmark that post as correct? I want other people to see the post is not resolved so I can get more input and find the actual correct answer. Thank you!

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reviewed your previous question. You may not be satisfied, but Barb's answer to you is correct.

When you first "save" a file, InDesign has no idea where you want to save it or what you want to name it. That's why the Save As dialog box appears. After you name the file and specify where it will be located, InDesign stores subsequent "saves" to the filename and location you specified the first time.

Your computer is a stupid, but eminently logical machine. It has absolutely no idea what it should do, only what you tell it. That's why you have to tell it what to name the file, and where to save it, when you first save the file. It shows the Save As dialog box because it's prompting you to specify where and under what name you want it to be saved.

When saving from a template file, or a file from a previous version of InDesign, it performs the same function — offering you the opportunity to protect your original and Save As another file.  In fact, that's why when you save it in the same location and the same name as before, a redundant command alert box pops up to ask you if you want to overwrite (not protect) the existing file. Giving you one more opportunity to consider whether you're sure you really want to do that.

You may not like the answer, but it is not wrong.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please do not ascribe to me weather I like or dislike something or am satisfied or not satisfied, thanks. 

I'm not going to waste time explaining why this response is obviously not based on thoroughly looking at what I wrote in the initial reply. Have a nice day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a lost volume or server connection I think you would get a warning. Have you tried deleting your Preferences and Caches folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, @Barb Binder â€™s answer is only correct if the file has been converted from an earlier version and has the [Converted] suffix added, but that’s not what is happening in your case. If the file has not been converted, or is not being opened from a template (.indt) file, there shouldn’t be a dialog on a regular Save. I think Randy missed your attached screen capture in the original post.

Is the file path of the file you are trying to save to a startup volume, or is it to an external drive or networked server? If it’s a server or external volume, is there a chance you are losing the connection?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I asked for more input on your original post. Please check as to whether or not it is correct.

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, i have unmarked the answer as correct in that post. can we lock this conversation so it continues with the corresponding post?

thanks

jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Locking this - it's not an indesign question.

If the question was marked incorrectly just reply in the original thread and a moderator will unmark it. 

No need for a thread about it.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines