Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I create a scalable text box shader

New Here ,
Jul 29, 2020 Jul 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Basically the title. I've created a text box shader that fits perfect to my brand's guidelines, but only for that font size. I need the shader width and height on each side of the text to be half of X (X = Font's height). So if the font was 20cm tall, the shader would need to go 10cm around each side of the font. Is there any way to implement a script to calculate X and half it for each of sides of the shader box?

Thanks in advanced

TOPICS
How to , Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

If it was me, I'd ...

1 scaled.jpg

1. Create it
  2. Group it
  3. And Scale it

The first copy is a rough copy of the original example you offered. The second is the same copy/graphic, only grouped together by first selecting both elements and using the Object>Group menu command (keyboard shortcut Ctrl+G or Cmd+G, depending on whether you're using a Windows PC or a Mac, respectively). The third is a copy of version #2, scaled by placing my cursor at the lower-right anchor point and holding down the Ctrl+Shift keys

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Zozuhhh,

can you show a screenshot with a sample text frame selected and some annotations what should happen?

Frankly, I have no idea what you are after.

Thanks,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2020 Jul 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep!

This is the current shader border I have: 

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 11.39.55 am.png

It fits perfectly, and the length of the white border around the type is exactly half the height of the type. 

Screen Shot 2020-07-31 at 11.40.10 am.png

This is what happens when I resize the type, as the shaderbox is rigged specifically to the first font size. Is there anyway to make it scalable so this second font size is automatially fitted with the same shader border.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use one element only, the text frame.

Use the textFramePreferences to assign appropriate values as array for property insetSpacing.

Then scale the text frame.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2020 Jul 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it was me, I'd ...

1 scaled.jpg

1. Create it
  2. Group it
  3. And Scale it

The first copy is a rough copy of the original example you offered. The second is the same copy/graphic, only grouped together by first selecting both elements and using the Object>Group menu command (keyboard shortcut Ctrl+G or Cmd+G, depending on whether you're using a Windows PC or a Mac, respectively). The third is a copy of version #2, scaled by placing my cursor at the lower-right anchor point and holding down the Ctrl+Shift keys as I dragged it down and to the right to make everything bigger. The text is still editable at its new size of 51.365 pt instead of the original's 24 pt, and proportions/positions are maintained.

Hope this gets you where you want to be,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

Sorry for my horrendously slow response time, but I will try both of these and get back to you both tomorrow! 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 12, 2020 Aug 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ain't no thang. No need to apologize ... just let us know if this works for you.

If it doesn't, let us know that too. There are a lot of sharp folks around here who can lend a hand.

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a little trouble, instead of scaling the text up with the box, its just scaling the textbox, the font is staying the same size

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nevermind I fixed it,I wasnt completely pressing allof the shortcut buttons

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, that solution works! Is there anyway to get a precise font size when I resize? 🙂 Thanks for the help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 18, 2020 Aug 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Only by making it a precise size when resizing it.

After you group the elements, use your Control palette to resize the created block. Pick the upper-left anchor point on your proxy and scale it, or set a “fixture” with three guides set to spec off the pasteboard and Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+drag the size to fit your digital fixture.

Could you do me a favor? Could you mark the correct answer so the moderators can archive this and help other users who have similar InDesign issues? 

Glad this works well for you,

Randy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines