• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I decrease the vertical space between a word and an underline placed above it?

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2021 Jul 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In an attempt to recreate a mad lib, I've encountered this problem: how do I decrease the space between a set of words and the underline placed above it? 

Ex.: 

SET OF WORDS

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

select your underlined text and go to haracter palette's drop down menu > Underline Options > set the Offset value 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 20, 2021 Jul 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Vladan. So, the Offset Value will decrease the space between the Underline and the Text? I tried that but I haven't had the success you've had. Any other suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

for example in my screenshot the offset value is - 11 pt

Schermata 2021-07-20 alle 08.11.46.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are several ways to do that. The underline is one option.

Using Paragraph Rules is another (the Rule above is a good candidate, the offset moves thr rule above uppward startingat the Base Line)

You can also use Paragraph Border just checking the top border. 

Paragraph Rule and Paragraph border can specify the width relative to the column which may be useful.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could we see a real example, please, with surrounding text?

I supect that the "overlined" text is falling in the middle of other text and would like to know how that is set up -- baseline shift for those characters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, Peter. I provided an example beneath my question above. I'm trying to decrease that space between the Underline and the Text beneath it (like you'd see in a Mad Lib). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There must be more text than that on your page, no? I think we need to see how this text relates to other text, particularly in the same line and paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I know how to do this is with text frame anchors. There is an (old) explanation at this link on how to do it but I'd love to know if there is an updated method as I can't seem to make it work right now with any other rules or border settings. Making Fill in the Blank Labels for Contracts and Forms | CreativePro Network

JainLemos_0-1626819546365.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2021 Jul 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will do, thanks, Peter. Will this work with out any text above the line though?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This is a different problem but yes, it works with any text. As they say, there's only one way to find out 🙂 So experiment away!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you should share with us one indesign page with your text

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe that underline isn't an underline, but rather a frame edge, or a paragraph ryle, or whatever. 

Show us a screenshot with 'Show edges' enabled (View > Extras > Show frame edges) and with hidden characters shown (Type > Show hidden characters).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines