• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I edit out unwanted characters in InDesign hyperlinks, when InDesign puts them there?

Explorer ,
Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I'm still using CS6, because I publish print books that are as old as Aldus Freehand, so I have everything back to Aldus Freehand.  Here's my question. Whenever I try to link to an URL that ends with a "/?p=",  InDesign adds a bunch of characters that the causes the hyperlink to get a 'not found' error message. 

Please see my attached image. 

Hyperlink-Issue.jpg

Any url I enter with "?p=" adds the extra characters in the InDesign hyperlink text windows and doesn't forward the designated url.   I 've tried editing and deleting the hyperlinks, sharing the hyperlinks, but any URL with a PID adds the characters I can't edit out using the hyperlink  windows.   This is what I found:   "Originally “#” was used as an anchor to jump to an element with the same name/id. However, nowadays it's usually used with AJAX-based pages since changing the hash can be detected using JavaScript and allows you to use the back/forward button without actually triggering a full page reload."  

I'd appreciate any step-by-step suggestions on how to get rid of those additional characters in an InDesign hyperlink?

TOPICS
Bug , EPUB , Import and export , Print

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 23, 2020 Dec 23, 2020

Mike - Delving further into your link, I discovered a great fix: change the characters using tiny.url etc.  It worked.  Thanks for the link!

Solved-hyperlink.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the link, but it is unusable for me. In other words, it cannot be corrected by a print designer. My expertise is making digital CMYK 300 dpi images and  K/O text print like pics on 60# text and 100#C1S.

//DecodeURI_AllHyperlinks_DestinationURL_Name.jsx

//DESCRIPTION:Decodes all hyperlink destination URLs and names; can be undone in one go!

//Uwe Laubender

/**

* @@@BUILDINFO@@@ DecodeURI_AllHyperlinks_DestinationURL_Name.jsx !Version! Mon Jun 04 2012 14:48:49 GMT+0200

*/

app.scriptPreferences.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevels.interactWithAll;

app.doScript(_DecodeURI_AllHyperlinks_DestinationURL_Name, ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, [], UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, "Decode all hyperlink URLs and names");

function _DecodeURI_AllHyperlinks_DestinationURL_Name(){

var d = app.documents[0];

var allHyperlinks = d.hyperlinks;

for(var n=0;n<allHyperlinks.length;n++)

var newDestURL = decodeURI(allHyperlinks.destination.destinationURL);

var newDestName = decodeURI(allHyperlinks.destination.name);

allHyperlinks.destination.destinationURL = newDestURL;

try{

allHyperlinks.destination.name = newDestName;

}catch(e){}; 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike - Delving further into your link, I discovered a great fix: change the characters using tiny.url etc.  It worked.  Thanks for the link!

Solved-hyperlink.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2021 Jun 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi spotte,

don't know if my script will help you at all.

However, the code you copied over is faulty, because:

[1] the post you copied the code from was damaged at the end of 2019 when the thread was moved to this new InDesign forum. That happened to a lot of posted scripts that were posted before October or November 2019.

[2] you did not copy all of the code.

Let's see if I can correct this:

//DecodeURI_AllHyperlinks_DestinationURL_Name.jsx
//DESCRIPTION:Decodes all hyperlink destination URLs and names; can be undone in one go!
//Uwe Laubender

/**

* @@@BUILDINFO@@@ DecodeURI_AllHyperlinks_DestinationURL_Name.jsx !Version! Mon Jun 04 2012 14:48:49 GMT+0200

*/

app.scriptPreferences.userInteractionLevel = UserInteractionLevels.interactWithAll;

app.doScript
(
	_DecodeURI_AllHyperlinks_DestinationURL_Name , 
	ScriptLanguage.JAVASCRIPT, 
	[] , 
	UndoModes.ENTIRE_SCRIPT, 
	"Decode all hyperlink URLs and names"
);

function _DecodeURI_AllHyperlinks_DestinationURL_Name()
{

var d = app.documents[0];
	var allHyperlinks = d.hyperlinks;

for(var n=0;n<allHyperlinks.length;n++)
	{

var newDestURL = decodeURI( allHyperlinks[n].destination.destinationURL );
		var newDestName = decodeURI( allHyperlinks[n].destination.name );

allHyperlinks[n].destination.destinationURL = newDestURL;

try{
		allHyperlinks[n].destination.name = newDestName;
		}catch(e){};

};

}; //END function "_DecodeURI_AllHyperlinks_DestinationURL_Name()"

And I hope, it's OK for you if I give your other reply the "Correct Answer".

The one you mentioned tiny.url …

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines