• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I find the location of an index marker - when the index entry does not have a page number?

Engaged ,
Oct 13, 2017 Oct 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More indexing fun.

I've created a large index. Some of the entries did not use page numbers. Now I have an entry in the index that I'd like to find, but without the page number the Index Preview pane grays out the Go to Marker button. I can't go to that marker to change it, because I don't know where it is in the book files.

Is there a way to go to the location of such a marker where an entry does not have an explicit page number? Yes? No? Mebbe not? A marker is in the file structure somewhere (else the entry would not turn up in the index). How can I find it? Thanks.

-j

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you selected your story (click in it), and viewed it in the Story Editor? Edit > Edit in Story Editor. I believe they are visible there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks very much for the reply, but it's not seeing the marker that's the issue (and I know about using the story editor). It's FINDING the marker. I have an entry that has no page number associated with it. Even when selected in the Preview Pane, the Go To Marker button at the bottom of the Preview Pane is grayed out. Apparently, I can't just go to the marker. This does not happen when selecting the page number of a properly numbered index item. So, the question is, I know the marker exists because its topic appears in the reference, but where in the 250 pages of the book does that marker appear? How to find it, when the Go To Marker button is grayed out?

Even looking at the ~70 or so component book files in the Story Editor won't do it for this one.

Several of these markers appear in the book (mea culpa). I need to track them down and edit them into correctness. I made a PDF of the book and did a word search, which at least directed me to the right set of files to edit. Then I deleted the problematic index entries in InDesign and made new correct ones more-or-less where they should have been in the book. It would have been a lot simpler to just go to the marker and edit it. There may be other index entries like this that I need to correct, too. Still proofreading.

So that's my plight -- not seeing the marker, but finding where it is in the book.

Thanks again.

-j

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Several of these markers appear in the book (mea culpa). I need to track them down and edit them into correctness.

Indexing is scriptable so you should be able to get a list via a script. Not sure I can help, but can you show a capture of the Page Reference or Cross Reference Options for one of the problem markers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 14, 2017 Oct 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Are these "See" x-references, which don't get page numbers? They don't get markers in Story Editor, but you can edit them in the Index panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines