• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I know if any of my links are missing?

Explorer ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am making a large important indesign file and I'm panicking because I have a USB that keeps disconnecting itself. I kept trying to get it to work and after several failed attempts it finally made the folder. How can I see if all the links made it over? Also, do the orange page numbers next to these images in the links panel mean that it can't find the file, or is it just telling me the page number?

Screen Shot 2017-01-16 at 11.04.31 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Guide , Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Hi

As Steve said, Preflight panel will warn you in case of missing/modified links.

It can do much more than that, depending on how your preflight profile is set (overset text, missing font, and many more), so I would strongly recommend using that feature.

In addition, you probably have noticed it, I should add that your Links panel also does the job:

Red circled question mark for missing link, Orange triangle with exclamation mark for modified links.

Just like you did in your example : sort by status

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 16, 2017 Jan 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Missing links will show up in Preflight. Window > Output > Preflight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jan 17, 2017 Jan 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

As Steve said, Preflight panel will warn you in case of missing/modified links.

It can do much more than that, depending on how your preflight profile is set (overset text, missing font, and many more), so I would strongly recommend using that feature.

In addition, you probably have noticed it, I should add that your Links panel also does the job:

Red circled question mark for missing link, Orange triangle with exclamation mark for modified links.

Just like you did in your example : sort by status and warnings will show up at the top of your links panel.

panellinks.jpg

Finally, these marks will also show up in your design (Normal view), just like here:

missinglinks.jpg

Regards

vinny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All answers are right. But, why you work with usb-drive?

Remember, never say you can't do something in InDesign, it's always just a question of finding the right workaround to get the job done. © David Blatner

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think they're working "on" a USB drive. I think the OP was saying that they were having difficulty copying the files from the USB to his computer and wanted to make sure that all of the relevant files came over. The links. I certainly hope that they aren't actually working from the USB drive. That's just asking for trouble.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this may not be the case but it sounds as if you might be working only on a USB drive. Please don't! They are prone to failure and corruption. And you don't have a backup. Please work on your computer's disk then immediately backup to the USB (keeping all saves with new names)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2020 Sep 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello experts! I am brand new to this program, trying to edit and update an existing INdesign brochure... so someone else created it on a different computer some time ago... I downloaded the InDesign file from Google Drive and have opened it on my computer. All the images have the missing link warning.... so what does that mean exactly? I dont have most, if any, of those original image files on my computer, which I understand might be the issue...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2020 Sep 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All the images have the missing link warning... so what does that mean exactly?

It means that you won't be able to export the file to PDF or to print it, at least in high quality. If you try to make a PDF or to print the file, all the missing links will be low res. So you need to get these missing links and relink them to your indd file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines