• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I lay a full shape over a background image?

New Here ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, 

I am new to InDesign (so, please be kind). I am playing around with the software, and I have come across an 'issue' that I can not solve or find a work around. 

I have placed an image on my background with a 30% (or so) opacity. My goal is to lay, on top of this image, a rectangle shape filled with a light color (please see photo below). The problem that I have is that the background image is visable through this light colored shape even though the shape is at 100% opacity. I have tried putting a black rectangle behind it. I have tried putting a white rectangle behind. I have played around with the arrangement (send to back, send backward, etc) and nothing has worked.

Please, if someone can tell me how to do this or if my goal is even achievable in InDesign. Thank you for your help. 

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 3.40.21 PM.png

TOPICS
How to , InCopy workflow

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

It's impossible to tell if the image is in front or back of the rectangles without seeing the Layers panel. So open the Layers panel (Window > Layers) to make sure your image is in back. Click the disclosure arrow to reveal all the objects in the Layer. If it's not the last object listed in the Layers panel, it's not at the bottom of the stacking order. To move the image to the back, click on the image listing and drag its position to the bottom of the listings.

If you need help using the Layers

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

One thing you can look at......under Window-Effects make sure for the filled boxes it's set to Normal.

Screen Shot 2021-01-08 at 5.37.21 PM.png

Regards,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

It's impossible to tell if the image is in front or back of the rectangles without seeing the Layers panel. So open the Layers panel (Window > Layers) to make sure your image is in back. Click the disclosure arrow to reveal all the objects in the Layer. If it's not the last object listed in the Layers panel, it's not at the bottom of the stacking order. To move the image to the back, click on the image listing and drag its position to the bottom of the listings.

If you need help using the Layers panel, here's a link to a video I produced a while ago: http://www.jeffwitchel.net/2011/11/indesign-new-layers-of-control-in-indesign

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines