• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you link images to an external unconnected source?

Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to link images that are currently embedded in an InDesign file to the client's sharepoint folder that my PC doesn't have access to so that when the client opens it on their end the images link correctly. I have the paths to those folders, they're something like \Users\foo\. When I click an image on the Links panel and go to Relink and enter that path, it says 'Path does not exist.' Is there a way to do this? I don't want to send the images embedded because it increases the file size too much, and I don't want them to have to relink them on their end. Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping to give them the InDesign files in a way that they wouldn't have to do anything, when they opened it, it would automatically link to the images on the paths they gave me. It really should just let you do that even if it removes the previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Is there a way to do this?"

Hi nrgzone,

the answer is "no". Not from the UI in InDesign.

What you can try ( and I successfully tested ) :

[1] Export the graphic frame holding the image to an IDMS file.

[2] Open the IDMS file in a text editor and edit the file path there:

LinkResourceURI="file:

Place the edited IDMS file.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try to make exactly the same path to all files on your PC? This might work as the simplest solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you link them all to a single folder on your system, the client should be able to point to the correct sharepoint folder on their end and relink all at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to link images that are currently embedded in an InDesign file to the client's sharepoint folder that my PC doesn't have access to so that when the client opens it on their end the images link correctly. 

If your client can open and edit the InDesign file they must have a CC subscription? Why not put the placed assets in a folder inside of your Creative Cloud Files folder and invite the client to sync to the assets folder. In that case the links will  not be broken when they open the shared ID file. I don’t use Sharepoint, but it sounds like you can also use Sharepoint to sync assets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the suggestions. I was hoping to give them the InDesign files in a way that they wouldn't have to do anything, when they opened it, it would automatically link to the images on the paths they gave me. It really should just let you do that even if it removes the previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 23, 2021 May 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a small suggestion.

If images are the exact same name you can Relink from Folder from the submenu in the Layers Panel. 

Select all the links in the link panel - choose Relink to Folder - and all links with the same name will relink automatically.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If all the images are in the same folder, the easiest way to relink is for them to place the ID file in that same folder, then open it, resave, then it can be moved elsewhere as they so desire.

ID's will look in it's current local folder for files first before trying the next relative sources (like a Links folder withing that folder), and then by paths, etc,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 24, 2021 May 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

"I was hoping to give them the InDesign files in a way that they wouldn't have to do anything, when they opened it, it would automatically link to the images on the paths they gave me."

Hi nrgzone,

try my suggestion exporting, editing and placing an IDMS file.

That will do exactly what you want:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/how-do-you-link-images-to-an-external-unconnected-source/m-p...

Depending on the number of placed images it's a lot of effort, but it will work, if you have the right file paths.

You'll not be able to test the file paths and it's very likely that the placed IDMS images will lose their preview in the process.

As I said: Just give it a try.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines