• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do you rename a sublayer/object in the Layer's Panel of InDesign 2021?

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2020 Dec 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the previous versions of InDesign all I had to do was double click on the name of the layer/object in the layers panel and I could then edit the name as needed. Now when I (single/double/triple) click on the layer name, the text highlights for a millisecond and then goes back to being greyed out.

This isn't a glitch with the OS/my mouse/touchpad because it works in Finder, Photoshop & Illustrator to rename files this way.

@Adobe A rename option in the layer's panel menu would be really helpful

TOPICS
How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Thanks Bob, this is what I did to install the script but it's not working. Is there a step I'm missing or a setting I need to change?

Anyway I figured out the answer to my original problem.

Undock the Layers Panel and let it float. Clicking on the name should now allow the name to be edited. It appears that this feature doesn't work for renaming Page Items that are under the layers if the Layers Panel is docked.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem here on Windows 10. Have you tried resetting your preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No problem with InDesign 2021 on macOS 15.6:

To edit a layer name, it's not double click: It's click - pause - click.

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 11.27.00 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the method I prefer, but you can double click to bring up the layer options where you can also do the renaming.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 11, 2020 Dec 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your responses. I'm trying to edit the name of a Page Item which is like a sub-layer of a standard layer:

Layer Page Items.png

I'm on Mac OS 11.0.1. (Big Sur) using InDesign 16.0.1 (2021)
Clicking directly with a pause used to work on InDesign 15 (2020) with Mac OS 10 but when I updated to InDesign 16.0.1 (2021) on Mac OS 11, the rename feature stopped working properly. I updated the OS and InDesign around the same time. It appears to be a problem with a combination of both Mac OS 11 and InDesign 16
I've tried clearing the Cache and deleting the Preferences and that hasn't worked. Trying the script that rob day suggested but having problems executing the script.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be a Big Sur problem. The link I posted includes a renaming script

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but having problems executing the script

You have to save the code in a plain text editor or ExtendScript Toolkit with a .jsx extension into your Scripts Panel folder.

/Applications/Adobe InDesign 2021/Scripts/Scripts Panel

Before running select the page item listed in Layers panel and run the script from the Scripts panel. You can also assign a key command.

Screen Shot 9.pngScreen Shot 10.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bob, this is what I did to install the script but it's not working. Is there a step I'm missing or a setting I need to change?

Anyway I figured out the answer to my original problem.

Undock the Layers Panel and let it float. Clicking on the name should now allow the name to be edited. It appears that this feature doesn't work for renaming Page Items that are under the layers if the Layers Panel is docked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a ridiculous bug that persists 4 months later in 16.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 23, 2021 Apr 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Pages panel has the same problem with Alternate Layouts. If the Pages panel is docked to anything, you can't rename Alternate Layouts. Float it, and renaming works again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Ha ha ha. SO simple yet has had me flummoxed for months. THANK YOU

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Page items listed in a Layer (sub layers) don’t have a Layer Options dialog on a double-click—to rename it is two single clicks as Steve suggests. This may be an OSX problem. Check this thread:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/indesign/can-t-rename-layers-indesign-2021-16-0-also-happened-in-2020...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi MrMensah,

hm… There are no sub-layers in InDesign.

What you might regard as sub-layers are perhaps nested objects in structures like groups or groups inside groups. Or pasted inside objects in graphic frames. Or objects in active states of buttons or MSOs ( MultiState Objects ) .

That aside, it seems that some users on Mac OS X have problems to rename objects in the Layer Panel. We recently see some threads in the forum. All in common were that InDesign is running on Mac OS X. As far as I can see there is no known cause for this; also no direct fix.

One workaround is to drag the Layers Panel out of its docked state with other panels. Then renaming should work as expected.. On Windows 10 I have no issues with that. My Layers panel could be docked or undocked.

In any case, if you want to rename an object in the Layers panel, not the layer itself, select the object on the page and run the following ExtendScript (JavaScript) code which is a minimum version of the script code Rob provided:

app.selection[0].name = "My New Name";

The new name of the selected object is enclosed in straight quotes and is assigned to the name property of the selected object. Rob has a user interface for this so you prefer that.

If you want to rename the layer itself, select an object on the layer you want to rename, run the following minimum code:

app.selection[0].itemLayer.name = "My New Name";

Note: The script code above will not work on selected text ( or selected tables or table cells ) .

Make sure that you select only one single object.

How to make a script file out of copy/pasted code, how to install the script file so that InDesign can see the script in the Scripts Panel and finally how to run the script, see Marc Autret's description:

https://www.indiscripts.com/pages/help#hd0sb2

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Laubender I was referring to Page Items (such as the <polygon> in the image below) when I said sub-layers.

Layer Page Items.png

I tried executing these 2 scripts but was unable to.

Figured out the answer to my original qeustion, it appears to be a bug:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In InDesign 2021 with macOS 10.15.7, I'm still not  having problem editing the names of  page items when the Layers panel is docked. See illustration below:

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 3.31.57 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 3.34.31 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Steve Werner  Yes, it works fine with macOS 10. The problem is with macOS 11. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...Which is why it's often not a good idea to install a MAJOR new OS version on  production machines until at least a couple bug fix updates have passed by!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great point but if nobody updates then how thse things get figured out? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good point! I hope you report the issue here so the InDesign engineers have a change to make sure it's fixed either in the next Big Sur update or the next InDesign update:

https://indesign.uservoice.com

The product managers and engineers track bug reports there. But reporting them here is hit or miss.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MrMensah said:

"I tried executing these 2 scripts but was unable to."

LayersPanel-ItemSelected-1.png

Hm, if a page item is selected on the page like you are showing in your screenshot, running the first script code should rename the object.

IMPORTANT NOTE: The polygon that you marked with a red rectangle is not the one that is selected!

The selected one on the page is the polygon where that little square is colored in blue.

Regards,
Uwe Laubender

( ACP )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 15, 2021 Mar 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just "fixed" mine.

I right-clicked the Layers panel and selected "Collapse to Icons". Then I pulled open the Layers panel, and I can change the name of the items (the click-pause-click to highlight now works).

If I expand back to how it was, renaming doesn't work again.

Annoying because I like to have everything on display, but I can work like this (and/or rename all the objects then Expand).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2021 Apr 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came here with this same issue. I was scanning the forums and saw something in passing about the panel being docked.

I undocked the panel and left it floating and now I can rename items just fine.

So it appears to be a problem while the panel is docked.

PS, I'm on a Mac with Big Sur.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Dec 23, 2021 Dec 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's sad that I had to find this on a community post from April.

Meanwhile, we get Parent pages so that is progress I suppose? No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines