• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How does InDesign typesetting get high-quality graphics from Word quickly and safely?

Enthusiast ,
Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is often used in InDesign typesetting to extract pictures from word. I usually use the form of saving as a web page to get pictures. I feel that this method is slow and it is troublesome to rename the pictures.
I tried some methods and found that sometimes the resolution of the pictures obtained was reduced.
Do you have a safe and fast way to extract images from word?

TOPICS
Bug , Feature request , How to , Import and export , Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2020 Nov 01, 2020

I wrote this more than 10 years ago. https://www.creativepro.com/get-the-full-picture-with-docx/

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you know that image resolution was reduced when saved into the word document?

I also do typesetting where i place my word documents, i have a seperate folder where i have the true high resolution images and i replace those into my layout as i go, just my working style.

For what you speack of i think you would need a script from word to export out all of the images like you want. However, if you are already doing what you doing, why not just ask for the true high res images? somebody placed them in a word document, those are the best images you could have in your layout when you think about it. do you not have access to those?

thanks

jonathan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonathan, Image resolution is NOT reduced when saving a Word document as DOCX. In fact, the only thing that changes is the file name. Try it yourself.

Place a high res TIF or JPG into a Word file. Save as DOCX and place that in InDesign. Check the file info in the links panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,
Nov 02, 2020 Nov 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Good point, however, you are forgetting that the person(s) may be compressing the images (from word) so the word document is small enought to email/share around.

The post from the OP does not tells us what size is the word document is, and what size are the original high res images.

Last, If there is vector art needing to be placed in the layout it should be .ai files so they are crisp. not saved images from a word document.

go birds!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just place the document. The images come along for the ride.

I do recommend unembedding them immediately after placing and then doing a file > save as.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a trick for you. Make a copy of the Word document and change the extension to .zip. Now extract the .zip file and within you'll find all of the makeup elements of that Word document including all of the original images that were placed within that Word document. Keep in mind that when it comes to resolution, usually people using Word are not using high-resolution images to begin with so your resolution will simply be limited to whatever they used. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wrote this more than 10 years ago. https://www.creativepro.com/get-the-full-picture-with-docx/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines