• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How may I control the space when I create multiple frames with the frame tool?

Contributor ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have a doubt about how may I control the space that, by default, Indesign apply to the frames when I am creating a new frame and I press the arrow keys to select multiple rows and columns, hence creating new frames.

I don't know if I am explaining this well.

Let's take it with an example.

I create a frame with the frame tool... so I click with the mouse and start to drag the frame

I DO NOT REMOVE THE FINGER FROM THE MOUSE...

And I press the arrow keys... now you see Indesign is creating files (up and down keys) or columns (left and right keys).

When those frames are created, you see Indesign apply a space among them, which by default, has a measure in inches or millimiters.

Well, I want to control that quantity of space among frames.

How may I control this?

If I did not explain this well, please, let me know and I will try again with a picture.

Cheers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Advisor , Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Mrmister1,

If you want to control the space between frames WHILE NOT REMOVING FINGERS as opposed to after you have created multiple frames...

Hold the Ctrl Key (or [EDIT: Command Key] on mac) and press up/down for height and left/right for width..

Votes

Translate

Translate
Guide ,
Jan 12, 2017 Jan 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Question was very clear, no problemo ^^

The gap between "grid frames" is the same than the gutter defined in the margin and columns setup.

So you can change it, in Master or in individual pages: Layout > Margins and Columns

Regards

Vinny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Jan 13, 2017 Jan 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mrmister1,

If you want to control the space between frames WHILE NOT REMOVING FINGERS as opposed to after you have created multiple frames...

Hold the Ctrl Key (or [EDIT: Command Key] on mac) and press up/down for height and left/right for width..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Additionally you can use the gap tool if you want to modify either individual gaps or a row/column so that they aren't all "perfectly" aligned.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should mention that for some reason holding up and down or left/right doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference you have to keep pressing till you get the desired gap amount.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep,

that's fine solution too!

It depends on whether you want to modify the default gap (go to my suggestion), or change it each time you create your frame grids (EW's suggestion).

A mix of both might be useful.

When I use this tool, I usually set up default gap column to zero in my Master, then change the cursor key increment (Preferences > Units & Increments > Cursor Key) to 1 mm

cheers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wasn't trying to be difficult Vinny just OP had asked about doing it whilst not letting go of the finger.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 10, 2021 Jan 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You sir are a legend, thanks a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 14, 2017 Jan 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, sorry I did not reply before, but I had some busy days. I am sorry. I've seen someone marked the reply as OK and it is

Works fine! Thanks for the solution buddy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines