Highlighted

How to Add a Text Anchor

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just discovered the Cross References feature in InDesign but I want my cross reference to point to a Text Anchor but for the life of me I cant work out how to add a Text Anchor.

So how do you add a text anchor?

Thanks.

Highlight the text you want to be the anchor. Open the Hyperlinks panel. From the panel munu choose New Hyperlink Destination and the dialog should come up with Text Anchor and your highlighted text filled in. Click OK.

TOPICS
How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more

How to Add a Text Anchor

Explorer ,
Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just discovered the Cross References feature in InDesign but I want my cross reference to point to a Text Anchor but for the life of me I cant work out how to add a Text Anchor.

So how do you add a text anchor?

Thanks.

Highlight the text you want to be the anchor. Open the Hyperlinks panel. From the panel munu choose New Hyperlink Destination and the dialog should come up with Text Anchor and your highlighted text filled in. Click OK.

TOPICS
How to, Type

Views

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
Jun 29, 2012 0
Most Valuable Participant ,
Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Insert your cursor where you want the text anchor.

Open the hyperlinks panel menu and select New Hyperlink Destination.

Select text anchor from the Type” dropdown.

Bob

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2012 4
LEGEND ,
Jun 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 29, 2012 5
New Here ,
Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I was struggling with this feature too! Thank you so much for your answer - most helpful one today. Thank you!!

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Apr 19, 2018 0
Community Beginner ,
May 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone else trying to do this and not able to find New Hyperlink Destination... Go to the Window menu and the Interactive window. That's where you'll find the Hyperlink panel referenced above.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 01, 2020 1
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I thought I was losing my mind on the "Links" window. 

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Jun 16, 2020 0
New Here ,
May 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create the hypelink destination first then the cross reference.  Go to the text you want to refer to, select the text that you are referencing (the destination) then Create a new hyperlink destination the selected text will be the name of the destination link. This make life much easier later when creating the cross reference.

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
May 03, 2013 1
New Here ,
Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Sir,

I have done text anchor cross-references. But there two questions left for me: 1. How is this possible to have a mutual cross-back on the two words crossed link together and the second question: why the blue links which are cross-refernced are not clickable in pdf (interactive) on smart devices? 

Thanks

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2019 0
Adobe Community Professional ,
Dec 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of InDesign are you using?

Bevi Chagnon | Designer & Technologist for Accessible InDesign + PDFs | Books @ www.PubCom.com/books — NEW! Accessible InDesign + PDF

Translate

Translate

Community Guidelines
Dec 22, 2019 0